Popular crowd sourced custom ROM developer community CyanogenMod has released a new CM12.1 series nightly version to Xiaomi's popular Mi4 and Mi 3W.
This firmware code-named 'Cancro' is based on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop OS. It is around 264MB in size and includes new features to enhance user-experience on Xiaomi Mi4/Mi3 W.
It also brings bug-fix for Stagefright 2.0 vulnerability.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM):
- This new CyanogenMod CM12.1 Android 5.1.1 Lollipop firmware has to be installed on the Xiaomi Mi4/Mi3W models only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure to install USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (Xiaomi Mi4/Mi3W) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure the device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance for smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
- Though installing custom ROM improve the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
CyanogenMod CM12.1 Downloadable files:
New Xiaomi Mi4/ Mi3W CM12.1 [Nightlies]: HERE [Build date: 12/10/2015]
Cyanogen Recovery: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation guide of CyanogenMod CM12.1 Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM on Xiaomi Mi4/Mi3W-
Step 1: After downloading CyanogenMod CM12.1 [Nightlies] Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM and Google Apps in to the PC, connect Xiaomi Mi4/Mi3W to the computer via USB cord
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Place Android 5.1.1 Lollipop zip file and Google Apps into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have been rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool.]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)'and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' option.
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Come back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Return to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.1.1 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Xiaomi Mi3W/ Mi4) will take at a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod CM12.1 Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM.