After months of delay, crowd source-based custom ROM developer community CyanogenMod has released the final stable version of the CM12.1 to the Sony Xperia Z.
This new CM12.1 series is based on latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop OS. It brings IMAP idle support, SDK v1 release and also comes the software patch including a bug-fix for the Stagefright security loop-hole.
Read more: Android Stagefright Bug: How to Minimize its Vulnerability on phone and Everything You Need to Know
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the custom ROM):
- This new CyanogenMod CM12.1 Android v5.1.1 Lollipop custom firmware has to be installed on the Sony Xperia Z (aka Yuga) model; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- Users are advised to pay close attention to the CM release version and check whether the version of their third party installs (kernels, mods, gapps, etc) are compatible to the custom ROM.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure your system has USB drivers, or else your smartphone (Xperia Z) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
CyanogenMod CM12.1 Downloadable files:
Sony Xperia Z (aka Yuga) CM12.1 Snapshot: HERE [Build date: 01/09/2015]
Cyanogen Recovery: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
Step-by-step installation guide of CyanogenMod CM12.1 Android v5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM on Sony Xperia Z:
Step 1: After downloading CyanogenMod CM12.1 Android v5.1.1 Lollipop custom firmware and Google Apps in to your PC, connect Sony Xperia Z to the system via USB chord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click (HERE) to download firmware]
Step 2: Place Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom firmware .zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool.]
Step 3: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 4: Perform the regular 'Recovery Mode' sortie by press holding 'Volume (Up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 5: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 6: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 7: Come back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 8: Return to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 9: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 10: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Sony Xperia Z) will take at least five minutes (only for the first time) to complete the booting process.
Users can then head to device's 'Settings' option>> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod CM12.1 Android v5.1.1 Lollipop custom firmware.