A new CyanogenMod Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M12 milestone series custom ROM has been made available to Samsung's 2011 flagship Google Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 model.
The new CM11 M12 custom ROM is based on the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) v4.4.4 KitKat OS and brings the usual enhancements to battery life, performance and other customisation options.
One key improvement in this update is that CM11 M12 will fix the POODLE vulnerability found in SSL (Secure Socket Layer) v3 protocol of most of the Internet browsers. [More Information, HERE]
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- This new CM11 M12 series custom ROM has to be installed on the Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 (aka Maguro) GSM model only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your phone (Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus) smartphone will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
[Disclaimer:This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition, cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step Installation Guide of CyanogenMod Android 4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M12 Custom ROM on Samsung-Google Galaxy Nexus (GT-I9250):
Step 2: Connect Samsung-Google Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 to the PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed the USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware].
Step 3: Then, place the Android 4.4.4 KitKat .zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before installing the custom software, be sure that the device has been rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool].
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular 'Bootloader Mode' sortie by pressing and holding 'Volume Up', 'Volume Down' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the 'Bootloader mode', go to ClockworkMod Recovery mode, then clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset.' [Note: Use Volume keys to navigate and Power button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode].
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting the 'wipe cache partition.'
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that the user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation].
Step 9: Again come back to the main recovery screen and tap 'install zip from SD card.'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 4.4.4 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for installing the Google Apps. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options].
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Samsung-Google Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users, then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod Android 4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M12 custom firmware.
[Credits: CyanogenMod & Team Android]