Trump rejects Iran's response to new US proposal
Trump rejects Iran's response to new US proposalians

United States President Donald Trump spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over the phone on Sunday, with discussions reportedly centred around Iran, according to an Israeli official cited by Axios.

The conversation came shortly after Netanyahu revealed that he was scheduled to speak with Trump following the US President's diplomatic visit to China. The Israeli leader had indicated earlier that Iran and regional security would likely dominate their talks.

Following his Beijing trip, Trump claimed that Chinese President Xi Jinping agreed with him on reopening the Strait of Hormuz and preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons. However, China's foreign ministry later stated that the conflict "should never have started" and had no reason to continue.

Meanwhile, reports suggest Trump's top aides are weighing fresh military action against Tehran after negotiations between the US and Iran — reportedly mediated by Pakistan and other countries — stalled. If the ceasefire collapses and Washington resumes strikes, the US military is considering renaming its campaign against Iran as "Operation Sledgehammer."

The US had earlier paused "Operation Epic Fury," the military operation launched on February 28 targeting Iran. The Trump administration had also imposed a blockade on Iranian ports as part of efforts to pressure Tehran into negotiations.

Amid escalating tensions, Netanyahu is expected to chair a high-level security meeting with senior ministers and aides in Jerusalem on Sunday evening, according to The Times of Israel.

Trump spoke to Netanyahu on Iran ceasefire framework: White House
Trump spoke to Netanyahu on Iran ceasefire framework: White HouseIANS

Speaking during the weekly cabinet meeting, Netanyahu said the US and Israel's "eyes are open regarding Iran."

"I will certainly hear impressions from his trip to China, perhaps other things as well. Certainly, there are many possibilities, and we are prepared for every scenario," Netanyahu was quoted as saying.

Separately, a drone strike triggered a fire near the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the United Arab Emirates on Sunday, Reuters reported, citing Abu Dhabi officials.

According to the Abu Dhabi Media Office, the strike hit an electrical generator outside the plant's inner perimeter. Authorities said there was no rise in radiation levels and no injuries were reported. The International Atomic Energy Agency also confirmed there was no radiation leak.

While UAE officials said the source of the drone strike remains under investigation, the country asserted its right to respond to such "terrorist attacks." The UAE has previously accused Iran of carrying out attacks on its territory. The latest incident comes amid heightened regional tensions following US-Israeli strikes on Iran that began on February 28, after which Tehran launched retaliatory attacks targeting Gulf nations, including the UAE.