India, on Sunday (February 25) woke up to the shocking news of Bollywood's veteran actress Sridevi passing away.
She is survived by her husband Boney Kapoor and daughters Jahnvi and Khushi.
A very talented actor and dancer, Sridevi was called Bollywood's first female superstar.
- Sridevi's full name is Shree Amma Yanger Ayyapan. She has both Tamil and Telugu lineages.
- She had a sister and two stepbrothers.
- Her first appearance was in the devotional film Thunaivan at the age of four.
- It was only in 1975 that she made her first appearance in a Hindu movie called Julie.
- Sridevi made a name in Telegu, Malayalam and Kannada film industries. She shared the screen with Telugu legend NT Rama Rao in Vetegaadu (1979), Sardar Papa Rayadu (1980) and Justice Chowdhury (1982).
- Her first Malayalam movie was Kumara Sambhavam in 1969, where she acted with Gemini Ganesan.
- She debuted in the Kannada film industry in 1974 with Bhakta Kumbara.
- Steven Spielberg wanted to cast Sridevi for a brief role in Jurassic Park in 1993. However, the actress turned down the offer.
- She also turned down other movies which went on to become massive successes, like Darr, Baghban and the Baahubali films. However, she was such a huge brand herself that it probably didn't affect her anyway.
- When she joined Bollywood, Sridevi was not comfortable talking in Hindi. Her voice was dubbed by other people including veteran actress Rekha.
- After her comeback to mainstream cinema in 2012 with the hit movie English Vinglish, she was reportedly confirmed to share the screen with Oscar-winning actress Meryl Streep in a Hollywood movie, according to a 2017 Times of India article. "It is yet to happen... talks are on. We are still going through it," Sridevi had been quoted as saying.