Early this month, Sony confirmed to release the Android Lollipop OS update to the company's flagship Xperia Z series smartphones across the world, from February onwards.
The new software is slated to be rolled out to Xperia Z3 series smartphone first and later to the older flagship models.
Impatient Xperia Z2 owners, who are eager to explore the newer, visually appealing interface and other numerous customisation options of the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop, can try installing the new CyanogenMod CM12 custom ROM.
We like to remind our readers that this new CM12 series custom ROM is a nightly version. It is unstable and has some un-tested bugs in it.
So, we advise our readers go through the whole tutorial article before going ahead with the custom ROM installation.
Some of the features that are missing in the CM12 nightly version are:
- Theme Engine
- Quick Settings reorganisation and customisation
- Quick Settings Ribbon mode
- Navigation bar reorganisation and customisation
- Sound panel customisation
- Lock-screen quick unlock
[Note: Cyanogen has confirmed that they are on final stages of the development (85% complete) of the stable firmware and would release it soon. Until then users can upgrade their device with the nightly update.]
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the CyanogenMod CM12 Nightly):
- Users are advised to update their third party add-ons to ensure compatibility
- The CM backupscript.sh in recovery will ignore and remove incompatible applications from your system partition (these are usually non-CM apps that users have opted to install). You must install a compatible app (or app pack) to regain that functionality
- You can flash CM12 nightlies directly from CM11 M12 or CM 11 nightlies (no need to wipe), provided you read and followed the above 1 and 2 steps
- Once on CM12 nightlies, you cannot downgrade back to CM11 without wiping – if you are thinking of just exploring the release, then take a backup of your existing installation if you want to go back to it.
- Users must install Lollipop OS compatible recovery before installing the new CM12 custom ROM.
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation
- This new CyanogenMod CM12 Android 5.0.2 Lollipop firmware has to be installed on the Sony Xperia Z2 (aka Sirius) model; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (Xperia Z2) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod [Official] Android 5.0.2 Lollipop CM12 custom ROM on Sony Xperia Z2-
[Note: build-release date: 24/01/2015]
Step 2: Connect Sony Xperia Z2 to PC via USB cord.
Step 3: Then, place CyanogenMod Android 5.0.2 Lollipop Custom ROM zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure again to install the Google Apps. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Sony Xperia Z2) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod [official] Android 5.0.2 Lollipop CM12 custom ROM.