The Mumbai police are expected to get on Monday the report of DNA examination on the skeletal remains found from the spot in Raigad where Sheena Bora's body was dumped allegedly by her mother Indrani Mukherjea and her two accomplices.

The skeletal remains, which are suspected to be Sheena's, and blood samples of Indrani Mukherjea and Sheena's biological father Siddhartha Das had been sent to a forensic science laboratory (FSL) for tests.

While the forensic test results of the skeletal remains, including skull, bones and teeth, were ready on Friday, the DNA report was likely to be ready on Sunday.

"Had the samples been fresh, we could have finished the tests in 24 hours, but the poor condition of the bones has made our task very difficult," the Hindustan Times quoted an FSL official as saying.

"However, we should have the results in a couple of days," he added.

Even if the report is ready by Sunday, it is expected to reach Mumbai police by Monday only as the director general of police, Satish Mathur, has to first approve the findings and then forward it to the investigating team.

"Mr Mathur is in Nanded right now, and the report can be forwarded only through him," the FSL official said and added that Mathur will return to Mumbai on Monday.

The Mumbai police had on Friday received the reports of examinations of the skull found from the crime scene. According to reports, the skull matched with the photographs of Sheena.

The police are now awaiting the DNA report that will further strengthen their case against the trio--Indrani, her ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna and her driver Shyam Manohar Rai. All the three have been accused of killing Sheena in April 2012, dumping her body in a suitcase and burning it in Raigad's Gagode Budruk village.

No investigation was carried out when Sheena went missing more than three years ago, however, suddenly on 25 August the crime started to unfold with the arrest of Rai, leading to arrest of Indrani and Khanna as well.

The Mumbai police are said to have received a tip-off about Sheena's murder from an unknown person from Meerut in Uttar Pradesh a few months ago. The police had then silently started the investigation based on the information and arrested the main accused thereafter.

All the three accused have been remanded in police custody ending on 7 September.