
The Saudi Ministry of Defence announced the interception of three drones after they entered the kingdom's airspace from Iraq.
The ministry's official spokesperson, Brigadier General Turki Al-Maliki, said on social media platform X that the ministry reserves the right to respond at the appropriate time and place, Xinhua news agency reported.
He noted that it will take and implement all necessary operational measures to respond to any attempted attack targeting the kingdom's sovereignty, security, and the safety of its citizens and residents.
The Saudi ministry had announced in recent months the interception and destruction of a number of drones that entered the kingdom's airspace. The region has witnessed instability amid the conflict involving the United States, Israel, and Iran.
? BREAKING
— Qmo (@QmoCrypto) May 18, 2026
?? IRAN'S IRGC: "ALL US MILITARY BASES IN THE SOUTHERN PERSIAN GULF WILL BE DEACTIVATED."
?? SAUDI ARABIA JUST REPORTED 3 IRANIAN DRONES INTERCEPTED OVER ITS AIRSPACE.
IRAN ISN'T WAITING FOR THE US TO STRIKE FIRST.
THEY'RE OPENING NEW FRONTS - STARTING WITH SAUDI… pic.twitter.com/5MqsY2efGz
Regional tensions have escalated since the US and Israel launched strikes against Iran in February. Tehran retaliated with strikes targeting Israel as well as US allies in the Gulf, including the United Arab Emirates, along with the closure of the Strait of Hormuz.

A ceasefire took effect on April 8 through Pakistani mediation, but talks in Islamabad failed to produce a lasting agreement. US President Donald Trump later extended the truce indefinitely.
? JUST IN:
— Iran Reports (@IranReportsX) May 18, 2026
Reports say Saudi Arabia intercepted 3 drones that entered its airspace from Iraq.
Tensions in the region remain extremely high as drone activity increases across Gulf airspace. pic.twitter.com/b0ofpDrc2H
Last month, Saudi Arabia's foreign ministry summoned Iraq's ambassador to Riyadh over what it described as continued attacks and threats targeting the Kingdom and other Gulf states using drones launched from Iraqi territory.
Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia on Sunday strongly condemned the drone attack on the United Arab Emirates that caused a fire outside the inner perimeter of the Barakah nuclear power plant.
The UAE's defence ministry said it had "successfully" intercepted two drones, while a third struck an electrical generator near the nuclear facility in Abu Dhabi's al-Dhafra Region. The ministry said the drones entered from the "western border" but did not provide further details.




