The French capital, Paris, saw a tear gas filled Sunday as police in riot gear clashed with climate protesters ahead of the Paris climate summit being held on Monday.

A 10,000 strong human chain, organisers said, was formed near the site of the deadliest attack by Isis terrorists on 13 November.

In an effort to keep the climate activists from carrying out their protest actions, several of them were put under house arrest by the French government in what critics saw as an abuse of the Emergency laws prohibiting gatherings in places where the attacks took place.

French President Francois Hollande, who was at the EU-Turkey Summit in Brussels said, "These disruptive elements have nothing to do with defenders of the environment." "It is doubly regrettable, even scandalous that this happened at the Place de la Republique where flowers and candles have been left in memory of those who were killed by the terrorists' bullets" in the 13 November Paris attacks," he added.

Gathering near the Bataclan concert hall, the site where 90 people lost their lives in the attacks on Paris, the human chain stretched for two kilometers at the Boulevard Voltaire. It was the first organized demonstration since the terrorist attacks.

A 100 metre gap was maintained with the offering of flowers and candles that had been laid outside the concert hall for the 13 November victims.

"There was a powerful current that passed between people's hands," AFP reported Genevieve Azam, spokeswoman for Attac, as saying. She added, "It was a pleasure to be able to lift the lid that has weighed on French people since the attacks."

The peaceful protest meant to pressurise the leaders of the 195 nations, who are meeting at the climate talk, turned violent went individuals in black hoods and scarves started shouting, "State of emergency, police state, you will not take away our right to protest."

Objects were thrown at the police, following which the police started pushing the group back and tear gas was released.

The aim of the protest was succinctly noted by the individuals present there.

"I hope this time the conference will lead to something solid," said retired university lecturer Jean-Pierre Raffin. "Far too often, they have just met to organise another meeting."

A 67-year-old woman, Christine De Clercq, who had travelled from Ghent in Belgium to Paris to be a part of the protest said, "I would like schools to have an hour a week of lessons around the world so that the young understand the danger."

The protesters left shoes as a symbol of the march meant to protest the climate talks, which got cancelled, at Place de la Republique.