As tensions continue to grow between North Korea and the United States, Pyongyang on Monday threatened to wipe out its enemies by carrying out suicide attacks that will be conducted by its military pilots.
According to a report by state-run Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on Monday, the threat was issued when North Korea's supreme leader Kim Jong-un met with the fighter pilots who were conducting the first combat exercise of 2015.
During the meeting, the pilots said that they were committed to "completely destroy the enemies with the most powerful weapons - their commitment to guard the leader with suicide attacks."
The report further stated that Jong-un went on to urge the pilots to continue their exercises so as to turn the enemy strongholds into infernos.
After the cyber-attack on Sony Pictures Entertainment last year, tensions between the isolated country and the United States seemed to have intensified. The US government suspects Pyongyang to be behind the Sony hacking incident; however, North Korea has denied it time and again. Even though the North states that it was not involved in the hacking episode, it had lauded the hackers for their efforts.
Recently, Jong-un even said that it was ready to face the United States with a nuclear war.
"We no longer have an intention to sit down for talks with crazy dogs that openly said they will destroy the socialist system," he said, according to Korea JoongAng Daily.
"We are capable of countering all kinds of wars, operations and combat that the U.S. imperialists want," he added. "We are prepared to go into any kind of war, including a war using conventional weapons or even a nuclear war."
The comment was made by the North Korean leader after watching a military drill that was organised to check if the country was ready to face American forces, should there be a war. The drill involved fighter jets and submarines armed with torpedoes.
Last month, US President Barack Obama said in an interview that the authoritarian regime of Jong-un will eventually collapse. "It's brutal and it's oppressive and as a consequence, the country can't really even feed its own people. Over time, you will see a regime like this collapse," President Obama said.
North Korea stated that the US had turned down its offer for a dialogue as well. "We proposed that Sung Kim, special representative for North Korea policy of the State Department, visit Pyongyang, but Washington turned it down," a North Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Sunday.