The City Civil and Sessions Court at Dindoshi, which had granted Alok Nath anticipatory bail on Saturday in the ongoing alleged rape case, said that the veteran actor may have been falsely implicated by writer-director Vinta Nanda and may have delayed filing a complaint 'for her own benefit.
"(Nanda) remembers the entire incident, but she does not remember the date and month of incident. In view of all these facts, the possibility cannot be ruled out that (Nath) has falsely been roped in the crime," Judge SS Oza observed in an order dated January 5. The actor had filed for bail on December 14.
According to Hindustan Times, the court further said, "If there is a delay in lodging the FIR, it loses the advantage of spontaneity, danger creeps in of the introduction of coloured version, exaggerated account or concocted story as a result of large number of consultations/deliberation (sic)."
Judge SS Oza also said in the order that Nath had not threatened Nanda of reporting against him of the alleged committed crime. "Thus, it reveals that applicant did not lodge the report immediately after alleged incident of her own benefit," reads the order.
The victim had lodged the complaint with Oshiwara Police on October 17 last year after Nath hit back by filing a defamation case against her in a Mumbai Magistrate Court.
Nath had denied all the allegations levelled by the victim and lodged the defamation case demanding Re.1 as damages and a written apology from her.
Known for his 'sanskaari' image on the big screen, Nath was expelled from the Cine & TV Artistes Association last year after the rape charges came to the fore.
It was in October that Nanda, who produced "Tara", had shared her ordeal with Nath through a long Facebook post, amid the #MeToo movement wave that hit India.
Nath's legal counsel said, "Nanda's complaint was "inspired by the complainant's personal vendetta towards him. Another possibility was that Nanda accused Nath of rape because of "unrequited and unreciprocated love she had for him".
After getting anticipatory bail, Nath had broken his silence conditionally.
"The honourable court and my lawyers have advised me to keep completely silent for now. In fact I've been quiet throughout. Maybe, some words escaped my mouth in my state of angst. But otherwise I've been lying absolutely low for the last three months," Nath said.
He added, "It is not right for me to make any comment at the moment. But yes, we (Alok and his team of lawyers) got anticipatory bail, and we're very grateful for that. Now, when I am in a position to speak I will have a heart-to-heart with you."
Nath did however expressed gratitude to his wife Ashu.
"She has been a pillar of strength for me. I am grateful to God that in my journey she has been my co-traveller throughout. She has been with me always. And my truth is her truth, and that's God's truth. So I am grateful to God for that."
Nath says his next legal move would depend on the court order.
"I cannot preempt anything right now. But one thing I can tell you. This battle will reach its logical conclusion, and the truth, whatever it is, will be revealed."
(With IANS INputs)