Just a few hours after Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam working president MK Stalin said that his father M Karunanidhi is recovering, the DMK supremo's health deteriorated past midnight on Saturday (July 28).
Here are the LIVE updates:
- India's Defence Minister Nirmala Sitaraman is also at the hospital to enquire about the DMK president's health.
- DMK leaders like MK Alagiri, KN Nehru and A Raja visited the Kauvery Hospital. According to Nehru says DMK chief Karunanidhi is responding quite well to treatment.
- Kanimozhi has said that her father is better now. The hospital will soon release a health bulletin on Karunanidhi.
- Auditor S Gurumurthy visited Karunanidhi and hoped for his speedy recovery.
"Karunanidhi has got laurels for Tamil Nadu not only in politics but across several fields. The state should have some more time under his leadership," The Hindu quoted Gurumurthy as saying.
- Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad also paid visit to the five-time CM of Tamil Nadu.
- Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit also paid a visit to the DMK supremo.
- At around 9 am on Saturday, Karunanidhi's daughter Kanimozhi, a Rajya Sabha MP arrived at the hospital.
- The supporters of Karunanidhi and his family members returned home in the early hours of Saturday after the doctors said that the DMK chief is responding to treatment.
- The Kauvery Hospital issued a news bulletin at around 2:30 pm.
"DMK president and former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu M Karunanidhi has been admitted on July 28, 2018 in the intensive care unit of the Kauvery Hospital at 1.30 a.m. following a drop in blood pressure. His blood pressure has been stabilised with medical management and he continues to be monitored and treated by a panel of expert doctors," the news bulletin said.
- As soon as the public got whiff of this news, they gathered at the hospital and started raising slogans like 'long live Kalaignar Karunanidhi," reported The Hindu.
- The ambulance reached Kauvery hospital in Alwarpet at around 1:25 am.
- The DMK chief's long time personal physician Dr Gopal immediately arrived at Gopalapuram after Karunanidhi's health deteriorated. At around 12:50 am, he advised to take Karunanidhi to the hospital, following which arrangements were made for an ambulance.
- The 94-year-old former chief minister of Tamil Nadu is in Kauvery hospital.
- Later on Friday Karunanidhi's son had said that "he is recovering steadily as his fever is coming down," reported ANI.
- Karunanidhi was being taken care of in his Goplapuram residence after he fell ill on Thursday, (July 26).
- "He is currently being treated for fever due to urinary tract infection with intravenous antibiotics and fluids. He is being monitored and treated round the clock by a team of medical and nursing professionals, who are providing hospital-level care at his home," Kauvery Hospital's executive director Aravindan Selvaraj had said.