Jammu Kashmir killing budgam
Relatives of teenage student Suhail Ahmad Bhat mourn over his body at Narbal in Jammu and Kashmir, on April 18, 2015. The teenager was shot by security forces during a protest.IANS

Following massive protests over killing of a teenager in police firing in Budgam district on Saturday, Jammu & Kashmir security forces arrested two cops allegedly involved in the gunfire.

The state police have arrested party Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) Manzoor Ahmad and constable Javaid Ahmad. According to a police spokesman, the latter opened fire, following the orders of Manzoor, thus violating the Standard Operating Procedure.

"Both the ASI and Constable have been arrested in the instant case and further investigation is underway. SHO Police Station Magam Inspector Khursheedur Rehman has been attached for lack of supervision," Greater Kashmir quoted the spokesman as saying.

The chairman of the separatist organisation Hurriyat Conference (M) Mirwaiz Umar Farooq has called for a shutdown in Budgam district on Sunday in protest against the "cold blooded murder" of the youth.

Syed Ali Shah Geelani, on the other hand, has requested other separatist leaders to gather at Partap Park in Lal Chowk at 2pm on Sunday to lodge a protest against 16-year-old Suhail Ahmad Sofi's death, which he described as an "act of state terrorism".

The incident happened near Narbal Sumo Stand on the outskirts of Srinagar during a peaceful protest against the killing of another youth who was shot dead in the gunfire between the security forces and the militants in Pulwama district's Tral area a few days ago.

When the young protesters started leaving the Stand after a peaceful protest, the security forces suddenly arrived at the spot and opened fire on them, killing the youth.

"In the mean time, police and CRPF suddenly arrived at the spot. They burst scores of teargas shells and opened indiscriminate fire there. Suhail was shot dead near Sumo Stand Narbal while he was on way to his school. The policemen first beat up scores of people and later killed him (Suhail)," according to witnesses.

They even claimed that the police barred the locals from taking Sofi's body to a hospital for treatment and by the time people came to his rescue, he had already lost a lot of blood.

"A number of locals, including women, later came out and lifted him to JVC Hospital at Bemina where doctors declared him as brought dead," the eyewitnesses said.

Sofi's death resulted in a massive protest by the people of Narbal and surrounding areas, demanding arrest of the killers of the teenager. The police used tear gas shells to disperse the protesters and opened fire in the air. Four were reportedly injured of which one is said to be in critical condition.

"One of the critically injured youth, identified as Irfan Wani from Kawosa Badgum, was later admitted in SKIMS Srinagar," police sources said.

The state government has, in the mean time, ordered a magisterial probe into the death of the youth. According to an official spokesman, Deputy Commissioner of Budgam Mir Altaf Ahmad has ordered a probe into the incident.

"Additional Deputy Commissioner has been asked to probe the incident that led to the death of the boy. He has been asked to submit his report within 15 days," Mir Altaf said.