Three SPOs who had been kidnapped by militants in Shopian in Jammu and Kashmir have now been reported dead. They were killed by militants suspected to belong to Hizbul Mujahideen. the brother of the police constable was freed by the police earlier today.
The Hizbul Mujahideen had released a video on Tuesday showing the militants and their flag with a voice-over in Kashmiri, warning the policemen to quit or get killed. This was a day after the Hizbul Mujahideen shot dead an Army jawan.
Here is what happened
- Former J&K Chief Minister expressed her distress regarding the incident. She tweeted
Clearly, with the rise in kidnapping of police personnel and their families, Centre’s muscular policy is not working at all. Dialogue, the only way forward seems to be a distant dream for now. 2/2— Mehbooba Mufti (@MehboobaMufti) September 21, 2018
Three more policemen have lost their lives to militant bullets. Outrage, shock & condemnation will be expressed by all of us on expected lines. Unfortunately, it brings no solace to the families of the victims. 1/2— Mehbooba Mufti (@MehboobaMufti) September 21, 2018
- The SPOs were shot dead and their bodies were left at the forested Wangam area near Shopian, reports Outlook.
- Three cops have been martyred in Shopian, reported by Times Now. Their bodies were recovered from South Kashmir.
- In a video posted to social media, the Operational Commander Riaz Naikoo said that the Kashmir Police has become a 'victim of Indian conspiracy'. He said, " We have tolerated a lot till this day and tried to make police understand but they did not listen. From now onwards we won't allow this. From now onwards whosoever becomes our obstacle in our struggle, his fate will be that of an enemy," according to News18.
- On Tuesday, the Hizbul Mujahideen threated the police forces in a video warning them to resign or get killed in a voice-over in Kashmiri. This video came a day after an Army jawan was shot dead by the Hizbul Mujahideen.
- According to NDTV, the police have been able to free Fayaz Ahmed Bhat, the brother of a J&K constable.
- Three Special police officers (SPOs) and the brother of a constable have been abducted. They have been identified as Firdous Ahmad Kuchey, Kuldeep Singh, Nisar Ahmad Dhobi and Fayaz Ahmad Bhat.
- Four policemen were kidnapped from their houses on Friday morning.
- Three weeks back, three policemen and eight relatives of policemen were abducted and were only set free after the Jammu and Kashmir police set free a dozen relatives of the members of the Hizbul Mujahideen. Terrorist Riaz Naikoo's father was also among them, according to NDTV.