Popular mobile software developer community Resurrection Remix has released a new custom ROM update to the Sony's flagship smartphone Xperia Z.
This new Resurrection Remix custom ROM is based on the latest AOSP (Android Open Source Project) 5.1.1 Lollipop. It brings much needed bug fixes for several glitches that accompanied the previous three versions (v5.0, v5.0.1 and v5.0.2) besides performance enhancement of the device.
Salient features of Resurrection Remix Android 5.1.1 Lollipop include:
- Clock widget (clock and alarm customisation, weather panel customisation, calendar events)
- Navigation bar (enable/disable Navbar, Navbar ring switch, ring targets, button customisation and more options)
- Notification drawer (weather display switch, quick settings, option to add 20 plus tiles, long press toggles to enter settings and more)
- Recent Panel (clear-all button switch, task switch, all button location)
- App Circle bar (trigger options for width, height and position)
- Anywhere gesture feature
- Status bar (with brightness slider, enable/disable show notification count, SuperUser Indicator switch, carrier label switch, quick pull-down switch and many more options)
- Theme chooser (Resurrection Remix exclusive Pitch Black theme, Animations, toast & list animation, system animation)
- Lockscreen (100 plus icons for shortcuts)
- Other features to enhance user experience of Xperia Z device
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the custom ROM):
- This new Resurrection Remix Android 5.1.1 Lollipop firmware has to be installed on the Sony Xperia Z (aka Yuga) model; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- This custom ROM is not Pre-rooted, so users are advised to the root the device via SuperSU before going forward for custom ROM installation
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (Xperia Z) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation Guide of Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Resurrection Remix Custom ROM on Sony Xperia Z:
Step 2: Connect Sony Xperia Z to PC via USB chord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click (HERE) to download firmware]
Step 3: Place Android 5.0 Lollipop custom firmware .zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool.]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular 'Recovery Mode' sortie by press holding 'Volume (Up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Sony Xperia Z) will take at least five minutes (only for the first time) to complete the booting process.
Users then head to device's 'Settings' option>> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of Resurrection Remix Android v5.1.1 Lollipop custom firmware.
[Credits: Team Android]