India is celebrating its 72nd Independence Day on Wednesday (August 15) as it commemorates the freedom from the British colonial rule.
Elaborate arrangements, especially in terms of security, has been made in many parts of the country, including Delhi. Prime Minister Narendra Modi unfurled the national flag and is addressed the nation from the ramparts of the historic Red Fort in Delhi.
This is the fifth time that Modi delivered a speech on the occasion of Independence Day since he was sworn in as the PM of India on May 26, 2014.
International Business Times India wishes you a very Happy Independence Day.
As it happened:
- Pakistan Rangers and BSF exchange sweets at Attari- Wagah border on the occasion of Independence Day.
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis unfurls the tricolour in Mumbai.
- Mamata Banerjee unfurls the national flag in Kolkata.
- Rahul Gandhi hoists tricolour in Delhi.
- The PM is greeting the children, who are sitting in formation forming Hindi script that reads 'Bharat', or India and is shaking hands with them.
- Modi said that Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Abhiyaan will be launched on September 25 this year. "It is high time we ensure that the poor of India get access to good quality and affordable healthcare," the PM said.
- The PM even addresses women related topics like Triple Talaq.
- Watch the LIVE streaming of the celebrations here.
- Snippets of Modi addressing the nation.
- Schoolchildren sitting at the Red Fort.
- Excerpts from Modi's address:
- The PM spoke highly of Tamil poet, Diraghadrishata and Optimist Subaramaniyam Bharati.
- "Next year on Baisakhi, it will be 100 years of Jallianwala Bagh massacre. I pay tribute to those who sacrificed their lives," the PM said.
- "Many parts of the nation witnessed good monsoon but at the same time parts of India have been severely hit by floods. My thoughts are with the families of those who lost their lives in these floods, in various parts of India," Modi added.
- Highlights of Modi's speech:
- PM Modi is addressing the nation. He is highlighting the achievements of the country.
- India's prime minister Narendra Modi has unfurled the tricolour from the ramparts of the Red Fort. The national anthem is being sung, following which he will deliver his speech.
- The Indian PM has arrived at the Red Fort.
- Modi will hoist the national flag and then address the nation, following which the defence forces will participate in a March past.
- Sunrise Youth Club of Uparkhuti village in Assam's Baksa have made a 3.5 Kilometre long national flag, reporetd ANI.
- Politicos have started arriving at the historical Red Fort, where the Tricolour is hoisted every year.
- PM Modi will arrive at the Red Fort at 7 am.
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh gives sweets to security personnel at his residence on Independence Day India.
- Security has been beefed up in Delhi.
- Visuals of the Red Fort on the 72nd I-Day of India.
- You can watch the live telecast of the programmes that will take place in Red Fort on the Doordarshan from 6:35.
- In a huge boost for the India's defence forces, the Delhi Police inducted an all-female special weapons and tactics (SWAT) team ahead of the I-Day. The 36 women, who hail from the north-eastern states of India, will be deployed at Red Fort and India Gate during Independence Day celebrations
- The army, navy and air force personnel participated in a dress rehearsals for the Independence Day celebrations on Monday morning (August 13).
- According to PTI, the Ministry of Culture had said that Red Fort has been decorated with 2,500 lamps, which are being illuminated since last week from 7:30 pm to 11 pm.