Prolific custom smartphone software developer CyanogenMod has released the new Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M12 to Sony's 2013 flagship smartphone, Xperia Z.
The new CM11 M12 custom ROM is based on the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) v4.4.4 KitKat OS and is said to be more stable than previous M11 (Milestone) series update and bring in customisation options to boost device performance, new visual interface, shortcut for easy access to key apps, loads of personalisation options and performance tweaks and many more improvements to enhance the user experience.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM):
- Though installing custom ROM improve the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation
- This Android 4.4.4 KitKat OmniROM firmware has to be installed on the Sony Xperia Z (aka Yuga) only ; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your phone (Sony Xperia Z) smartphone will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation Guide of CyanogenMod Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M12 Custom ROM on Sony Xperia Z:
Step 2: Connect Sony Xperia Z to PC via USB chord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click (HERE) to download firmware]
Step 3: Then, place Android v4.4.4 KitKat custom firmware .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular 'Recovery Mode' sortie by press holding 'Volume (Up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'.
[Note: Use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode.]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'.
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation].
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'.
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 4.4.4 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Sony Xperia Z) will take at least five minutes (only for the first time) to complete the booting process.
Users then head to device's 'Settings' option>> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of Android v4.4.4 KitKat CyanogenMod CM11 M12 custom firmware.