Popular mobile custom ROM developer community SOKP (Sonic Open Kang Project) has released a new updated firmware to OnePlus One.
This new SOKP software is based on the latest AOSP (Android Open Source Project) 5.1.1 Lollipop. It is said to bring the performance tweaks and numerous personalisation options, which include:
- Animation controls (IME animations, Over scrolling effects, toast, List view, AOKP system animations, scrolling modifiers and more)
- Navigation bar (option to select menu location, navigation bar dimensions, switch to enable/disable onscreen navigation bar)
- Pie control (switch to enable/disable pie control, configurable various number of buttons and also menu visibility in pie controls and more)
- Display settings (Daydream option, LCD density, screen cast, custom display options like volume rockers wake, wake on charger plugged/unplugged)
- Live Display (Live Display modes, colour temperature settings, colour calibration including RGB sliders)
- Sounds & Notifications (Interruptions, volume steps, battery light, heads-up notifications and more)
- Quick Settings (26 user selectable settings tiles including Ambient display, Nav Bar, Slim Actions, Gesture anywhere and many more options)
Things to remember before installing Custom ROM
- This new SOKP Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM has to be installed only on OnePlus One aka Bacon models only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted (Bootloader unlocked) before going forward for custom ROM installation. [How to unlock Bootloader]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC or else your device (OnePlus One) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted in the mid-way.
[Disclaimer:This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of SOKP Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM on OnePlus One (aka Bacon) model:
[Note: Check Change-log, HERE]
Step 2: Connect OnePlus One to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, instal USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Then, place Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Custom ROM zip file and the Google Apps .zip file into the phone's storage memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (Down)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset'.
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by choosing 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Go back to ClockworkMod recovery and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to the main recovery screen and tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (OnePlus One) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to 'Settings' >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of Exodus Android 5.0.2 Lollipop custom ROM.
[Credits: SOKP, XDA Developers Forum]