The sixth day of the Valentine's week, which precedes the main Valentine's Day, is here and millions of people around the world are enthralled every year by the occasion because it involves perhaps the most romantic activity ever known: the divine act of kissing.
The beautiful expression of a kiss has been one of the most discussed and admired romantic gestures in the world and is often used as a tool for reassurance, expressing love or simply as a gesture of admiration and affection.
And there is nothing more joy-giving than to realise that an entire day of the Valentine's week has been dedicated as 'Kiss Day' – celebrated with much zeal by romantic couples every 13 February.
In observance of the 'Kiss Day' 2015, we have rounded up 10 beautiful quotes about kissing and 10 other greetings that can be used as messages to send across as wishes to one's loved one or put up as Facebook status, courtesy to websites such as Good Reads, Brainy Quote, India.com and Desi Comments among others.
That will be followed by 10 interesting and little-known fun facts about kisses or the act of kissing to sum up the interesting event of Valentine's Week.
Quotes About 'Kissing'
- "A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous." -- Ingrid Bergman
- "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves."--Albert Einstein
- "Kiss me and you will see how important I am" – Sylvia Plath
- "A kiss is a secret told to the mouth instead of the ear; kisses are the messengers of love and tenderness." –Ingrid Bergman
- "The sound of a kiss is not so loud as that of a cannon, but its echo lasts a great deal longer." – Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
- "A kiss is a rosy dot over the 'i' of loving." –Cyrano de Bergerac
- "How did it happen that their lips came together? How does it happen that birds sing, that snow melts, that the rose unfolds, that the dawn whitens behind the stark shapes of trees on the quivering summit of the hill? A kiss, and all was said" – Victor Hugo
- "The mouth is made for communication, and nothing is more articulate than a kiss."
― Jarod Kintz, It Occurred to Me
- "Make me immortal with a kiss."
― Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus and Other Plays, Parts 1-2
- "Promise to give me a kiss on my brow when I am dead. --I shall feel it." --― Victor Hugo, Les Misérables
Messages, Wishes and Greetings:
- Kissing is a means of getting two people so close together that they can't see anything wrong with each other...Happy Kiss Day
- Love is heat, you are sweet. When two lips meet. Love is complete. Lots of kisses for you on this Kiss Day
- With this Kiss, I reveal all my thoughts and feelings about you that I have withheld for so long. I feel when I am with you ,I am like a Kiss, not because of its beauty, but because I am able to bloom and grow with you...
- My love for you grows more with each passing day, the thought of your gorgeous face takes my breath away, those brown eyes fill my soul with happiness, those luscious lips i love to kiss. Happy Kiss Day
- Kiss is the first step to show how much i love you, how much i think about you, how much i miss u and show that i trust u...
- A kiss is something you cannot give without taking and cannot take without giving.
- Smile is the second best thing you can do with your lips. What is first thing??
- Kiss me and you will see stars...Love me and I will give them to you.
- Love can be expressed in many ways.
One way I know is to send it across the distance
to the person who is reading this. Happy Kiss Day
- Stolen kisses are always sweetest – Leigh Hunt
Fun Facts About Kisses
- 90% of people kiss although kissing customs vary across the world, according to anthropologists.
- Kissing predominately uses one muscle called the orbicularis oris, which is responsible for puckering one's lips while kissing.
- The science and study of kissing is called 'philematology'
- Kissing is known to be healthy habit. Many sources claim one minute of passionate kiss burns about 26 calories – which is almost equal to 2-3 minutes of brisk walking in a treadmill.
- The word 'kiss' is from the old English 'cyssan' which probably comes from proto-Germanic expression 'kussijanan or kuss' which is understood to be based on the sound that kissing makes.
- Lips are said to be 100 times more sensitive than the tips of the fingers – which means, not even the genitals have as much sensitivity.
- About two-thirds of people always tip their head to the right when they kiss.
- On July 5-6, 2005 a couple in London broke the record of the longest kissed when they kept their lips locked for 31 hours, 30 minutes and 30 seconds. (They kissed without taking break for food or water and were later hospitalised for dehydration!)
- It is said that the French kiss involves all the muscles in the face while a 'pucker kiss' entails only two.
- Scholars do not know if the act of kissing is instinctual or learned. Some cultures in Africa and Asia do not seem to practice it, although it is hard to say if they have never seen or heard about it.