Prolific mobile software developers Cyanogen team has released the much awaited official 5.0.2 Lollipop CM12 custom ROM to the Motorola's 2014 flagship smartphone Google Nexus 6 (aka Shamu) model.
This new CyanogenMod CM12 series custom ROM is based on AOSP (Android Open Project) 5.0.2 Lollipop.
Though CM12 is an official custom Cyanogen ROM, it is a 'Nightlies' version, which is a bit unstable. There are some untested bugs which are yet to be fixed.
So, we advise our readers to go through the whole tutorial article first before going ahead with the installation.
Some of features that are missing in the nightly version are:
- Theme Engine
- Quick Settings reorganisation and customisation
- Quick Settings Ribbon mode
- Navigation bar reorganisation and customisation
- Sound panel customisation
- Lock-screen quick unlock
Cyanogen have confirmed that they have completed 85% of development of stable update and roll it out soon. Until then users upgrade their device with nightly update to explore the new custom features.
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the CyanogenMod CM12 Nightly):
- Users are advised to update their third party addons to ensure compatibility
- The CM backupscript.sh in recovery will ignore and remove incompatible applications from your system partition (these are usually non-CM apps that users have opted to install). You must install a compatible app (or app pack) to regain that functionality
- You can flash CM12 nightlies directly from CM11 M12 or CM 11 nightlies (no need to wipe), provided you read and followed items 1 and 2
- Once on CM12 nightlies, you cannot downgrade back to CM11 without wiping – if you are thinking of just exploring the release, then take a backup of your existing installation if you want to go back to it.
- Users must install Lollipop OS compatible recovery before installing the new CM12 custom ROM.
- Though installing custom ROM improve the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your phone (Google Nexus 6) smartphone will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
- This new CyanogenMod Android 5.0.2 Lollipop custom firmware has to be installed on the Motorola-Google Nexus 6 (aka Shamu) only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step Installation Procedure of CyanogenMod [Official] Android 5.0.1 Lollipop CM12 Custom ROM on Motorola- Google Nexus 6-
Step 2: Connect Motorola-Google Nexus 6 to PC via USB chord.
Step 3: Then, place the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop custom ROM zip file and Google apps .zip files into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, make sure the device is already rooted and must have installed ClockworkMod Recovery].
Step 4: Now turn-off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular 'Bootloader Mode' sortie by long pressing 'Volume Up', 'Volume down' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: Once entering the 'Bootloader mode,' go to the ClockworkMod Recovery mode, then perform full data wipe, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' [Note: Use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode].
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition.'
Step 8: Then go back to the ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that users will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card.'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop ROM .zip file in the SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for installing Google Apps. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Motorola-Google Nexus 6) will take a minimum of five minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod Android v5.0.2 Lollipop Custom ROM.