Ethan Hawke celebrates his 45th birthday on Friday, 6 November, 2015. This multi-faceted celebrity needs no introduction. He is not just a fabulous actor, but also director of two feature films, three off-Broadway plays, and a documentary. And not just this, Ethan is also a novelist who has two books â€" "The Hottest State" (1996) and "Ash Wednesday" (2002) â€" to his credit.
On his birthday, we have drawn a list of interesting facts about this American actor, writer and director:
- Hawke studied at the West Windsor-Plainsboro High School in New Jersey, but surprisingly, does not figure in the 1984-86 year book.
- He went to Carnegie Melton University in Pittsburgh to study acting, but dropped out in 1989 when he was cast in the "Dead Poet's Society."
- Hawke took a two-year break, twice from acting, when he was in his 20s. The first time was when he went back to studying English at NYU and the second time when he wrote a novel.
- He published "The Hottest State" his first novel in 1996 and "Ash Wednesday" in 2002.
- Hawke is a self-confessed "Star Wars" movies fan.
- He is most often mistaken to be Mark McGrath the "Sugar Ray" band member. In fact, he sometimes ends up signing autographs as Mark McGrath. And interestingly, McGrath signs autographs as Ethan Hawke.
- He sold his book to Little, Brown and Company for $400,000.
- He married his co-star in "Gattaca" and now ex-wife Uma Thurman, but had to propose to her twice before she said yes.
- In a nude scene involving Marisa Tomei in the movie "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead", Hawke insisted that the male crew members be stripped naked to make her feel comfortable.
Here's a list of some of the best Ethan Hawke movies that you should be watching to celebrate his birthday:
1) Boyhood (2014)
2) Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)
3) Tape (2001)
4) Gattaca (1997)
5) Before Sunrise, Before Sunset and Before Midnight (1995, 2004 and 2013 respectively)
6) Dead Poet's Society (1989)