The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warns cat lovers to avoid having lilies, which are popular decorations during the Easter season, as it might be poisonous to cats at home.
The trumpet-shaped, white flowers are toxic to curious cats who might chew the plant's petals and leaves. Apart from lilies, flowers such as Asiatic, Tiger and Japanese Show lilies are also poisonous to cats.
"If you suspect that your cat has eaten any part of a lily or its pollen, call your veterinarian immediately, or take your cat to an emergency veterinary clinic," Live Science quoted Melanie McLean, a veterinarian at FDA.
"Even eating just a couple of leaves or licking a few pollen grains off their fur can cause cats to suffer acute kidney failure," she said.
These plants and its parts, which are members of the Lilium and Hemerocallisgenera, are believed to be poisonous.
The first symptom of toxicity in cats is vomiting, frequent urination over the first 24 hours. Owners should immediately consult a veterinarian in case of these symptoms. The cat may die within four to seven days if not treated.
Some other symptoms of poisoning are loss of appetite, drooling and decreased activity.
Lilies are usually not as toxic to dogs, but may cause some gastrointestinal distress. However there's one similar flower, Lily of the Valley, which you should keep away from your dog, because this plant is highly dangerous for canines, too.
Some other plants toxic to pets include Aloe vera, Kalanchoe, Daphne, foxglove and yew bushes, according to the FDA.
Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons/Ali_K