The Delhi police has formally arrested the man, who allegedly shot himself at the Rajiv Gandhi Chowk Metro station on Thursday, 1 October.

The 22-year-old accused, identified as Shivesh Adhikari, has been charged under the Arms Act and DMRC Act, which forbids passengers from carrying weapons inside the Metro stations, reported The Times of India.

According to a senior police official, Adhikari is suspected to be mentally ill and has constantly been changing his statements about his motive behind entering the station with a pistol, reported PTI.

While he initially said that he wanted to "assassinate" a terrorist who was on the verge of "blowing up" the Delhi Metro, he later claimed that he was depressed after failing to arrange blood for his sick father. 

The CCTV footage retrieved from the Chandni Chowk Metro station showed Adhikari's sister Geeta handing a bag to her brother over a three-feet glass wall. This act is itself an infringement of the DMRC Act and is chargeable with a fine. However, DCP Metro Jitendra Mani revealed that though Geeta hasn't been given a clean chit, no case has been filed against her either. Meanwhile, Geeta has said that she had no knowledge of a pistol in the bag, police said.

Adhikari told police that he purchased the pistol from a man in his native place, Sekhri village, but soon after changed his statement, saying that he grabbed it from a gang that tried to rob him a few days before. 

East Delhi's Yamuna Bank police station has now sent a team of police headed by the Station House Officer (SHO) to Sekhri village for gathering more information that is important for the investigation. 

Adhikari had boarded the train at Chandni Chowk station (on Yellow Line) en route to Noida (on Blue Line). When he had to change trains at Rajiv Chowk, he went to an isolated corner and allegedly attempted to shoot himself on the head. However, he missed the aim and the bullet scuffed past his shoulder.

Post the alleged shooting, he was taken to Ram Manohar Lohia hospital where he underwent a surgery.

He was arrested after discharge and is scheduled to be produced before a court today.