mid day meals
(Representational Image)Creative Commons

Over 80 students at a school in Karnataka's Bellary district were taken ill after a dead lizard was found in the food served during the mid-day meal on Wednesday.

A boy had found the lizard in his pulao and informed the rest of the class. Due to the shock, many students began vomiting and three were admitted to Hagaribommanahalli Government Hospital.

The moment the incident came to the notice of the teachers, the parents were informed and an ambulance was called and the ill students were shifted to the hospital.

According to The Times of India, the three boys - Kotresh, Lokesh and Parashuram - were in a shock and had a fever. 

Parents and villagers later stormed the school grounds and staged a protest. They were angry about the carelessness with which the midday meals are cooked and were also upset with the negligence of teachers.