A 22-year-old call centre employee was allegedly gangraped at knife-point for around three hours by driver and cleaner of a Tempo Traveller in Bengaluru on Saturday night.

"A woman in her twenties, an employee with a call centre here, was gang-raped on the night of October 3 by two persons in South-East Bengaluru," City Police Commissioner NS Megharikh told reporters, according to PTI.

At around 10 pm on the fateful night, the woman – a native of Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh who worked at a BPO in Madiwala – was waiting for transport at the Bommanahalli Junction to return to her paying guest accomodation near St John's Hospital. She took a lift from a Tempo Traveller.

"Around 10 pm, she was waiting at the Bommanahalli Junction to catch a vehicle to reach her paying guest accommodation. Meanwhile, a Tempo Traveller stopped by and she boarded it. As there were no other passengers in the vehicle, her friend warned her not to get into the vehicle, but she went ahead," Deputy Commissioner of Police (South-East) Rohini Katoch Sepat told Deccan Chronicle.

The driver and the cleaner of the vehicle drove her to an isolated area, gangraped her for around three hours and dropped her back to the area from where they had picked her up at around 1 am on Sunday.

"According to the victim's statement, there were only two men in the vehicle – the driver and the cleaner. As they did not stop the vehicle where she was supposed to get down, she questioned them. But the duo allegedly threatened her and drove the vehicle to an isolated place, either near Old Airport Road or Domlur, and sexually assaulted her. The exact location is not known to the victim," Sepat said.

The woman then informed her friends who arrived at the spot and took her to St John's hospital, where the doctors informed the Madiwala Police about the incident. The police arrived at the hospital and recorded her statement.

A judicial magistrate recorded the victim's statement before the victim was dischrged from the hospital on Monday.

The Madiwala Police have registered a case against unknown persons and a team of police headed by Sepat has launched a manhunt to nab the accused. The police are also examining the CCTV footage at major traffic junctions in the area in an attempt to identify the vehicle.

"Special teams have been formed to investigate the case. As the survivor failed to notice the registration number of the vehicle and has only given sketchy details about the incident, the police are putting their best efforts to nab the culprits," Bengaluru Police Commissioner NS Megharikh told DC.

The victim had graduated in BBM from a Bengaluru college.