A five-year-old girl succumbed to a snake bite when she was sleeping in her house in Bengaluru early on Friday.
Reports say Sahana, the victim, started screaming in the middle of the night due to pain. Shocked by the screams, her parents woke up and found her bleeding. Doubting that it may be a bug bite, the worried parents rushed her to a nearby private hospital. However, the child began frothing and turning blue on the way. By the time they reached the hospital, it was too late and the doctors there declared her brought dead. It is being suspected that the girl was bitten by a cobra.
Doubting that it may be a bug bite, the worried parents rushed her to a nearby private hospital. However, the child began frothing and turning blue on the way. By the time they reached the hospital, it was too late and the doctors declared her as brought dead. It is suspected that the girl was bitten by a cobra.
The family members who rushed back home found the snake hiding in a corner and immediately killed and burnt the carcass outside the house. Family members suspect that the snake may have crawled out from the drainage chamber near their house.
Sahana's uncle Abraham, who grieved the girl's death, said that the child had just begun school and was thrilled. She was the eldest of the daughters whose parents are Sadananda and Salomia. The father works as an office boy while the mother is a domestic help.
According to reports, Sadananda, who suffers from a chronic ailment, was discharged from hospital only a few days back. "The family had borrowed money to admit Sahana to LKG," Abraham said.
Property owner gets blamed
Locals now blame the owner of a property situated close to the house. "When the area councillor Nethravathi Krishnegowda had tried to clear the shrubbery, the owner of the property filed a trespass case," Abraham said.
The family refused to file a complaint with police fearing that the child would be subjected to autopsy. According to neighbours, a 50-year-old security guard named Basha had also died in the area last year due to snake bite.