The elections for the post of the mayor and deputy mayor of Bengaluru were held on Friday, September 28.
Gangambike Mallikarjun from the Congress became the 52nd Mayor of BBMP. She won 130 votes, thus defeating her BJP counterpart Shoba Anjanappa. JD(S)'s Ramila Umashankar is the new Deputy Mayor.
The previous mayor of Bengaluru was Sampath Raj of DJ Halli ward. He was the 51st mayor of the city. The Deputy Mayor was Padmavathi Narasimhamurthy. They both ended their tenure on Thursday.
Here are the updates:
- Gangambike is a corporator from Jayanagar ward 139.
- Congress' Gangambike Mallikarjun is the new mayor of Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike. JD(S)'s Ramila Umashankar is the new deputy mayor.
- Karnataka BJP leader R Ashoka has alleged that the election officials are in favour of the Congress.
- BJP members staged a walkout after election results are announced
- Congress-JD(S) win Mayor and Deputy Mayor post in Bengaluru Mayor elections.
- Congress has asked for Asha Suresh to vote in the mayoral elections.
- BJP's Anant Kumar and Nirmala Sitharaman are also missing.
- Corporators Roshan Baig, Lalita, Asha Suresh and Nazeem Khan have abstained.
- Congress candidate Gangambike Mallikarjun and BJP candidate Shoba Anjanappa are head to head for the mayor position.
- 6 members of the council have not signed the attendance sheet or have remained absent and did not vote.
- In a twist in events, JD(S) corporator Devdas who had earlier joined hands with the BJP has now changed his mind and has joined with his party again.
- Congress corporator Kokila Chandrasekhar has skipped the elections.
- The voting process is underway at the BBMP office. Shivayogi Kalasad, the Regional Commissioner is given the charge to overlook the voting process.
- The BJP has locked JD(S) corporator Manjula in ward no 89.
- An independent corporator named Ramesh is also supporting the BJP.
- War breaks out in Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) office. Two JD(S) corporators, Manjula Narayanaswamy and Devdas have joined hands with the BJP, thus leading to a clash between the Congress-JD(S) and the BJP in the BBMP office in Bengaluru.
- 130 votes are needed to win the elections.
- The BJP is at 123 seats, Congress, 106 and the JD(S) is trailing
- The Deputy Mayor elections will be held after the Mayor elections.
- The Congress is tied up with JD(S).
- The Congress candidate is Gangambike Mallikarjun of Jayanagar ward in Chickpet constituency.
- According to The New Indian Express, the BJP is the single largest party in the 198-member council with a 100 members.
- In a first, the post of the mayor is reserved for a woman.
- The mayor of Bengaluru was Sampath Raj of DJ Halli ward. He was the 51st mayor of the city. The Deputy Mayor was Padmavathi Narasimhamurthy. They both ended their tenure on Thursday.
- The BBMP council elections for the Bengaluru Mayor and Deputy Mayor will be held today.