The town of Kokrajhar in Assam saw a ghastly terror attack on Friday when a few militants opened fire at unarmed civilians, killing several of them. The security forces were said to be battling them.
Here is everything we know about the Kokrajhar terror attack:
- Militants on Friday opened fire at in the Kokrajhar town of Assam.
- At least 13 civilians were killed and 18 were injured in the firing.
- The toll could rise as some of those injured are said to be in a serious condition.
- Most of the deceased are said to be Bodos.
- One of the terrorists is said to have been gunned down.
- A gunbattle between the militants and the security forces is underway at the Balazan market area of Kokrajhar.
- No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
- The police had initially suspected suspect members of the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (Songbijit), or NDFB(S), to be behind the attack. However, because most of the deceased are Bodos, that possibility seemed unlikely. Now, the Army has confirmed that the NDFB(S) was involved in the attack.
- Around seven-eight militants are suspected to have perpetrated the attack. Three of them fled the spot while throwing grenades at the security forces.
- The area has been cordoned off and an AK-47 assault rifle recovered from the spot.
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has announced Rs. 5 lakh ex gratia for the next of kin of the deceased, and Rs 1. lakh for ex gratia for the injured.
- The NIA Guwahati team is on its way to Kokrajhar, while National Security Advisor Ajit Doval has already met Sonowal.
- The Army has been conducting extensive searches in and around the area.