Earlier in the month, Apple hurriedly released the iOS 11.2 to fix weird date glitch that made all iPhones, iPads and iPods suffer random reboots on December 2, but rushing the roll-out without proper checks has resulted in the company engineers overlooking a loophole in the new software that has now endangered the security of the customers at home.
Apparently, iOS 11.2 has security glitch that affects the HomeKit app that controls smart gadgets in the house including the door. With such serious flaw, anybody with knowledge of hacking can bypass the smart-lock of the door or garage-doors and enter the house.
Also read: Samsung Galaxy S8, S8+ Android Oreo release schedule update: Beta testing to continue till late-January 2018
Now, Apple iOS 11.2.1 weighs around 57MB in size (for iPhone 6) but will vary with different models and is said to be coming with the software patch to plug the aforementioned security loop-hole. All the eligible iPhone, iPads and iPods owners are urged to update their devices to the latest firmware as early as possible.
How to install latest iOS v11.2.1 update on iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch:
Via OTA (Over-The-Air):
- 1. Settings >> General >> Software update
- [Tip: Users' who want to install the update directly on the device via OTA, make sure to clear enough device storage space and also make sure the device has more than 50 percent battery life, before downloading the new OS firmware]
1. Back up your iPhone or iPad with either iCloud or via iTunes.
2. Launch iTunes on your Mac or PC.
3. Make sure you're on the latest version of iTunes. Go to About and then Check for Updates or visit iTunes.com.
4. Plug in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch if it isn't already.
5. Click on iPhone, iPad, or iPod in the top left navigation.
6. Click on the Check for Update button in the first section that contains information about your device and alternatively you can click restore instead if you'd like to do a clean wipe with updated software.
7. An update should be recognised, click on Download and Update in the popup menu and agree to any terms or conditions.
8. Unlock your device with your passcode if prompted in order to continue with the upgrade.
Apple devices eligible for iOS 11.2.1 update:
|Apple device category||iPhones||iPads||iPod Touch|
|Device versions eligible for iOS 11.2.1 update||iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X||iPad mini (2 Gen), iPad mini (3 Gen), iPad Mini (4 Gen), iPad (5th Gen), iPad Air (1st Gen), iPad Air (2nd Gen), iPad Pro 12.9 (1st Gen), iPad Pro 12.9 (2nd Gen), iPad Pro 10.5 inch (1St Gen), iPad Pro 9.7-inch (1st Gen)||iPod Touch (6th Gen)|