Android Nougat update released to LG G5 [How to install]
Android Nougat update released to LG G5 [Representational picture]LG Press Kit

Months have passed since Google released its Android Nougat operating system, but data has shown that Android 6.0 Marshmallow is the most popular OS followed by Android 5.0-5.1 Lollipop and Android 4.4 Kitkat.

Several OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturer) have released Android 7.0-7.1 Nougat update to its flagships and popular devices but many eligible handsets are still waiting to taste the sweet. And this is reflected in the data released by Google.

Also read: Moto X Play gets Android 7.1.1 Nougat update: When will Moto G4 Play get it?

According to the data collected during a seven-day period ending on June 5, 2017 to know the relative number of devices running a given version of the Android platform, Android 7.0 Nougat's share is 8.9 percent, while that of the 7.1 Nougat version is 0.6 percent, taking the total share of the firmware to 9.5 percent. 

Android 6.0 Marshmallow has the biggest share with 31.2 percent, followed by Android 5.0-5.1 Lollipop with 30.8 percent (Android 5.0 – 8.2 percent, Android 5.1 – 22.6 percent), and Android 4.4 Kitkat with 18.1 percent. The share of Android Nougat, which is currently in the fourth position, is expected to rise in the days to come as its update is still going on.

Data collected during a 7-day period ending on June 5, 2017
Data collected during a 7-day period ending on June 5, 2017. [Note: Any versions with less than 0.1% distribution are not shown]Developer Android

Jelly Bean (various versions) accounts for 8.8 percent of the share, while Ice Cream and Gingerbread have 0.8 percent each of share. The data didn't show Android versions with less than 0.1 percent distribution.

Meanwhile, Google has announced its latest operating system called Android O. It has already released the second preview beta of the firmware, and the final version is expected to be rolled out in the month of August or September after releasing a couple of more betas to ensure that it works out good with all its eligible handsets.