Custom ROM developer community CyanogenMod released the new CM13 series stable firmware to the 2015 series Asus Zenfone 2 Laser and Selfie models.
The new CM13 (build number: ZNH5YAO0J9) is based on the Android v6.0.1 (r61) Marshmallow OS. The file size is a little over 520MB and comes with exclusive themes, short cuts, extends device's battery life, performance tweaks and many more value-added features to enhance user-experience.
Salient features of new CyanogenMod CM13 series custom ROM include:
- Profiles – add notification light controls
- New LiveDisplay hardware enhancements and API
- Bluetooth Devices battery support – For compatible devices, a new battery icon will appear in the status bar to show the paired devices' battery level
- Lockscreen Blur support (on a per device basis) and the ability to disable the effect
- Lockscreen Weather and new Weather plug-in support
- Live Lockscreen support
- Privacy Guard/App data usage – Restrict apps to Wi-Fi or Cellular data only or block all internet access, per app
- Do Not Disturb/Priority Mode
- Support for more international languages
- Wi-Fi Tethering – automatically turns off hotspot after preset minutes of inactivity
- Lockscreen Wallpaper picker makes its return
- Snap Camera (depends on the type of device)
- Gello Browser (depends on the type of device)
- Security fixes
- Cyanogen Apps support ( x86 is not supported yet, read more HERE)
- Additional CM SDK APIs
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- This new Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow CyanogenMod CM13 (ZNH5YAO0J9) custom ROM has to be installed on Asus Zenfone 2 Laser and Selfie models (ZE551KL, ZX551KL ZD551KL and ZE550KL) only, if tried on other devices, it might brick them [to check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void; the company will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing memory in the phone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure USB driver is installed in the PC or else your device (Asus Zenfone 2 Laser/Selfie) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of the tablet getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow CyanogenMod CM13 (ZNH5YAO0J9) custom ROM on Asus Zenfone 2 Laser/Selfie via TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project)-
Step 1: Download Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow CyanogenMod CM13 (ZNH5YAO0J9) custom ROM in to your PC.
[Scroll to find the downloadable files]
Step 2: Connect Zenfone 2 Laser/Selfie to the computer.
Step 3: Place the CyanogenMod CM13 Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM into the phone's storage memory.
[Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
Step 4: Turn off device and disconnect it from PC.
Step 5: Perform Recovery mode sorties by long pressing Volume (Down) + Power buttons.
Step 6: Once entering the TWRP settings menu, clear phone's memory (full) by selecting 'Wipe' option. Once done, select – 'Swipe to Factory Reset' perform factory reset.
Step 7: Return to TWRP settings and tap 'Install' by the selecting .Zip file in the phone's memory downloaded from PC.
Step 8: Come back to TWRP menu setting to approve the installation by tapping 'Swipe to Confirm Flash'.
Step 9: Flashing of the custom ROM begins and after few minutes, a message 'Successful' appears on the screen, thus completing installation.
Step 10: If faced with boot loop problem, navigate back to TWRP settings, and select 'Wipe cache/dalvik'. This procedure will help resolve any issue with regard to custom ROM installation.
Download the latest files here:
|Models||CyanogenMod CM13 () custom ROM||CyanogenMod CM13 compatible Recovery file|
|Zenfone 2 Laser/Selfie ( Z00T)- ZE551KL, ZX551KL and ZD551KL.||Link||Link|
|Zenfone 2 Laser (Z00L)-ZE550KL||Link||Link|