A new Resurrection Remix custom ROM has been made available to the 2014 flagship smartphone HTC One (M8).
This new firmware is based the latest AOSP (Android Open Source Project) 5.1.1 Lollipop. It brings performance tweaks, improvement to battery life and numerous customisations options such as:
- Quick-smart pull-down option
- Dark material theme
- Network traffic monitor
- Quick-unlock feature
- Lockscreen shortcuts
- Statusbar clock customisations
- Toast and list-view animations
- Clock colour option
- All CM12 features
- Many more personalisation options to enhance user-experience on HTC One M8
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- This new Resurrection Android 5.1.1 Lollipop firmware has to be installed on the HTC One M8 only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation. [Also read: How to Root HTC One M8 with Android 4.4 KitKat via CF-Auto-Root Tool]
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (HTC One M8) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
[Disclaimer:This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation procedure of Resurrection Remix Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Custom ROM on HTC One M8:
Step 2: Connect HTC One M8 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Place Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM zip file and Google Apps file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have been rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool.]
Step 4: Later, place boot.img file in the android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory
Step 5: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 6: Perform the regular Bootloader mode sortie, by press-holding 'Volume (down)', and 'Power' buttons.
Step 7: After entering the Bootloader mode (on the phone), go to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools (on the PC) and open Command prompt and type in: 'fastboot flash boot boot.img' and press enter.
(To enter Command prompt: Shift + right-click >> open command Prompt)
Step 8: Type: 'fastboot reboot' and follow instructions displayed on the screen. Select BOOTLOADER option to enter Recovery Mode.
Step 9: Once entering the Recovery mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'.
[Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode.]
Step 10: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'.
Step 11: Go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 12: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 13: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the procedure for installing Google Apps [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options].
Step 14: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (HTC One M8) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of Resurrection Remix Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM.
[Credits: Team Android]