One of the biggest astronomical events is going to take place on November 14, when the proximity between the moon and Earth will be maximum, making it the closest full moon of the 21st century.
The last time Earth and the moon were seen this close was in 1948 and the next time they will be this close will be around November 25, 2034, as per a Nasa press release.
Nasa researchers revealed that the year 2016 will witness supermoon thrice:
Once on October 16, 2016 (this is already over)
On November 14 2016, when the moon will be the closest to Earth after January 1948.
On December 14 2016, the supermoon will be seen for the third time this year, until its seen again on November 25, 2034.
On Monday, November 14, 2016, the moon will reach its perigee at 6:22 am EST (11:22 am GMT) and it is likely to be visible in America and Europe, at 8:52 am EST (1:52 pm GMT) and turn into a full moon within two hours.
"The next supermoon of this magnitude will happen after 18 years on November 25 2034. On November 14, 2016, the moon will appear up to 14 percent bigger and 30 percent average than the normal moon," Nasa stated, as quoted by Nature World News.
The orbit possessed by the Supermoon is elliptical or oval in shape, which makes one of its sides closer to Earth than the other.
Various spots have been flagged by Fecebook for getting the best view of the supermoon, as per a Business Insider report. Sydney Beach is one of the places recommended by the social media, watching the supermoon from regular places won't make it look special. But observing it from identified landmarks or spots raise your chances of watching moon illusion, which will make the moon look bigger.
These are a few spots which will enhance your moon gazing experience:
- Visit a dark place to gaze at the supermoon and try avoiding the use of a flash camera.
- Enjoy the moon gazing from any famous monument or statue and beautify the view.
- East facing beaches will provide you a clear view of the supermoon alone with a calm environment.
- Travel to any nearby mountains in order to enjoy the beautiful experience of sky gazing.
- The tall skyscrapers of your city can be an amazing option for admiring the natural beauty of supermoon.