A new Android 5.0 Lollipop AOSP custom ROM has been made available to Sony's 2013 flagship phablet Xperia Z Ultra.
Sony has already said that it would release the Lollipop update for Xperia Z Ultra in early 2015, but those who are too impatient to wait for the official firmware can update their device with custom ROM.
According to Team Android, this new AOSP custom ROM is based on the recently released Android 5.0 OS and is said to bring customisation options to boost device performance, new visual interface, easy access to key apps and loads of personalisation options.
This is a beta version, so some issues are yet to be fixed. We advise our readers to go through the whole tutorial article before going ahead with the installation.
Features of Android 5.0 Lollipop AOSP custom ROM which are said to be functional on Sony Xperia Z Ultra:
- Incoming Calls
- Mic from Headset (without headset mic wont work)
- Ambient light sensor
- RIL (Radio Interface Layer)
- Gravity sensor (auto rotate)
- Outgoing calls
- Mobile Data
Features that are needed to be fixed include:
- Video playback
- Signal indicator is broken when connected to LTE (very rare but exists)
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- This Android 5.0 Lollipop AOSP firmware has to be installed on the Sony Xperia Z Ultra model only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Be sure to install USB drivers on the PC, or else your device (Sony Xperia Z Ultra) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer:This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of Android 5.0 Lollipop AOSP custom ROM on Sony Xperia Z Ultra-
Step 2: Connect Sony Xperia Z Ultra to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Then, place CyanogenMod Android 5.0 Lollipop Custom ROM zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure again to install the Google Apps. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Sony Xperia Z Ultra) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of Android 5.0 Lollipop AOSP custom ROM.
[Credits: Team Android]