Taking cognisance of the OnePlus One's ghost touch and swipe issues, the company has released software patch to fix the glitches.
Though this news brings cheers to OnePlus One owners, there's a catch. In order to fix the ghost touch bug and swipe issues, users need to install the company's proprietary Oxygen OS on the smartphone.
That being said, this Oxygen OS firmware will also fix other touch screen bugs as well.
Prerequisite (Things to remember before installing the firmware):
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your device (OnePlus) will not be recognised by the computer. [How to install USB driver: Tutorial]
- This new Oxygen OS has to be installed only on the OnePlus One (aka Bacon) model; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
- We like remind users that BootLoader will remain unlocked after this Fix.
- The company says that ROM installation of OnePlus One will only work for Windows systems. For Mac and Linux users are advised to contact the company through the ticket and help them flash their device.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial- How to Install Ghost Touch Fix firmware (Oxygen OS) on OnePlus One:
Step 1: Download Oxygen OS firmware with Ghost Touch Fix (HERE) in to your PC and extract it to desktop or any place you are comfortable.
Step 2: Switch-off OnePlus and then, perform fastboot mode sortie by long pressing 'Volume (UP)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 3: Once in fastboot mode, connect OnePlus One to PC via USB cord.
Step 4: Then, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 5: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 6: Go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 7: After you are done with clearing dalvik cache, open 'ONEPLUS ONE -0.bat', then you will notice the black screen streaming a series of numbers on its. This means you are on right track and also indicated software drivers have installed successfully. If not, then install the drivers manually.
Step 8: Open "ONEPLUS ONE - 1.bat", If your device restarts then repeat the steps 2, 3 and 7. However, if your device doesn't reboot then please go to Step 9.
Step 9: Now open 'ONEPLUS ONE - 2 - 16GB.bat' or 'ONEPLUS ONE - 2 - 64GB.bat' depending upon your device.
Step 10: Once it is completed, your device will restart, please go ahead and test your device. [If faced with issues, please leave your feedback, HERE]
[Credits: OnePlus Forum Administrator, Sanam S]