Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, Maggie and their friends will be on television for two more years as Fox has renewed the show for two more seasons. The Simpsons is currently on Season 28 and it has aired just over 600 episodes.
The renewal will take the animated series to 669 episodes, shattering the previous record for a scripted series set 40 years ago by the Western Gunsmoke. The show aired 635 episodes between 1955 and 1975.
"Take that, Gunsmoke! You lost a race you didn't even know you were running!" Homer Simpson said in a statement released on Friday by Fox.
The show premiered in 1989. It has won 32 Emmy awards and was also nominated for an Oscar in the animated short category in 2012.
To celebrate Fox's decision to renew the show, we have compiled a few quotes from the show that prove that Homer has the answer to any problem.
- It takes two to lie: One to lie and one to listen.
- If you pray to the wrong god, you might just make the right one madder and madder.
- I am not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman.
- What's the point of going out? We are just going to wind up back home anyway.
- Books are useless! I only ever read one book, To Kill A Mockingbird, and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds.
- Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
- Because sometimes the only way you can feel good about yourself is by making someone else look bad. And I'm tired of making other people feel good about themselves.
- I want to share something with you: The three little sentences that will get you through life. Number 1: Cover for me. Number 2: Oh, good idea, Boss! Number 3: It was like that when I got here.
- You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way
- Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one! But you can't stop at one. You wanna drink another woman!