Some enthusiastic mobile software programmers of XDA Developers forum have released the CyanogenMod Android 5.0 Lollipop Alpha custom ROM to the Samsung's 2014 flagship smartphone - Galaxy S5.
The new custom ROM is based on the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) 5.0 Lollipop and this is an alpha CM12 version, so some issues are yet to be fixed. We advise our readers to go through the whole tutorial article first before going ahead with the installation.
Features of CyanogenMod Android 5.0 Lollipop CM12 Alpha custom ROM which are said to be functional on Galaxy S5:
- Built from CM source
- Google Now
- Video playback
- Audio playback
- Internal/External SDcard mounting
- Video recording
- IR Blaster
Features that are need to be fixed include:
- Touchscreen issues in some select games.
- Sometimes SystemUI Force closes abruptly. This issue has been found in all Galaxy S5, so it is expected to fixed soon by XDA developer members.
- GPS icon does not go away on status bar even though GPS feature is actually turned off.
- More CM features are yet to be activated. Developers are working hard to add more customisation options soon.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in the future. [Users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- This new CyanogenMod M12 series Android 5.0 Lollipop firmware has to be installed on the Samsung Galaxy S5 (GSM) models which includes - kltexx, kltelra, kltetmo, kltecan, klteatt, klteub, klte acg, kltedcm, klte [More Information, HERE]; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) smartphone will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being made permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition, cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod Android 5.0 Lollipop Alpha CM12 Custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S5 (Unified-GSM) models:
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy S5 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed the USB driver software. If not, click HERE to download the firmware].
Step 3: Then, place Android 5.0 Lollipop Alpha CM12 Custom ROM zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder].
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device is rooted and has ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool installed].
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset'.
[Note: Use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options while operating under Recovery Mode].
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by choosing 'wipe cache partition.'
Step 8: Then go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that the user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation].
Step 9: Again come back to the main recovery screen and tap 'install zip from SD card'.
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.0 Lollipop ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the procedure to install Google Apps as well. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options].
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy S5) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod Android 5.0 Lollipop Alpha custom ROM.
[Credits: XDA Developers forum]