Samsung Galaxy S4 has completed more than two years in the market, so it no longer enjoys the flagship status and would never get any more official update from the company. That said, people who are still using the device can enjoy new features thanks to industrious custom ROM developer community crDroid, as they have come up with the latest Android Nougat-based firmware to Samsung's 2013 smartphone.
crDroid's new ROM is around 350MB in size and brings Nougat features such as night mode, bundled notification, improved battery optimisation, multi-window options and numerous other value-added features to enhance user experience.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- This new Android v7.0 Nougat crDroid custom ROM has to be installed on Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE GT-I9505 (jfltexx) international LTE model only, if tried on other devices, it might brick them [to check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void; the company will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing memory in the phone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure USB driver is installed on the PC or else your device (Galaxy S4 LTE) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure for download Android v7.0 Nougat crDroid custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE (GT-I9505) via TWRP-
Step 1: DownloadAndroid v7.0 Nougat crDroid custom ROM and Google Apps on to your PC
[Note: downloadable file links are provided at the bottom]
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE to the computer
Step 3: Place the CyanogenMod Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow into the phone's storage memory
[Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
Step 4: Turn off device and disconnect it from PC
Step 5: Perform Recovery mode sorties by long pressing Volume (Down) + Power buttons
Step 6: Once entering the TWRP settings menu, clear phone's memory (full) by selecting 'Wipe' option. Once done, select – 'Swipe to Factory Reset' perform factory reset
Step 7: Return to TWRP settings and tap 'Install' by the selecting .Zip file in the phone's memory downloaded from PC
Step 8: Come back to TWRP menu setting to approve the installation by tapping 'Swipe to Confirm Flash'
Step 9: Flashing of the custom ROM begins and after few minutes, a message 'Successful' appears on the screen, thus completing installation
Step 10: If faced with boot loop problem, navigate back to TWRP settings, and select 'Wipe cache/dalvik'. This procedure will help resolve any issue with regard to custom ROM installation
Android 7.0 Nougat crDroid custom ROM: HERE
[Credits: crDroid Developer Community]