Despite being the 2015 series smartphone, the Galaxy A3 series is yet to receive the new Android Marshmallow, which was released by Google in October last year.
If history is taken as any guide, we believe Galaxy A3 has a 50 percent chance of receiving the update as the device falls in the mid-range phone category. Samsung has been very slow in releasing updates even for its flagship devices, it only began releasing Android Marshmallow to Galaxy S6 series and Note 5 quite recently in select markets, and many other marquee phones such as Galaxy S5, Note 4, Note Edge and others are still in the waiting list.
Even if Samsung decides to release the update to Galaxy A3 series, it is likely happen little late in the year as the company will give priority to its flagship phones.
Galaxy A3 owners, who are tired of waiting for the official Android Marshmallow update, can try installing the CyanogenMod CM13 [preview] version to explore the new features of the Google OS.
It is created by recognised XDA Developer Forum member, who goes by the moniker mygalaxya.
We also like to advise users that this firmware is an experimental preview version, so there might be some bugs. Readers must exercise caution before going ahead with the installation.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- This new CyanogenMod CM13 (preview) Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom series has to be installed on Samsung Galaxy A3 series -- SM-A300F, SM-A300H and SM-A300M models only, if tried on other devices, it might brick them [to check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void; the company will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing memory in the phone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure USB driver is installed on the PC or else your device (Samsung Galaxy A5 SM-A500FU) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure for CyanogenMod Android 6.0 Marshmallow CM13 [preview] custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy A3:
Step 1: Download CyanogenMod Android 6.0 Marshmallow CM13 [preview] custom ROM and Google Apps on to your PC
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy A3 to PC via USB cord
Step 3: Place CyanogenMod Android 6.0 Marshmallow CM13 [preview] custom ROM zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by choosing 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Return to the ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Navigate back to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for Google Apps installation [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy A3) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod Android 6.0 Marshmallow CM13 [preview] custom ROM.
CyanogenMod Android 6.0 Marshmallow CM13 [preview] custom ROM: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
USB Driver (Samsung Kies):HERE
[If faced with any issues, then please leave your feedback, HERE]
[Credits: XDA Developer Forum & mygalaxya]