Samsung has already released the KitKat OS to the Galaxy Note 3 LTE model quite early in the year as a part of routine software update to their flagship devices, but users who are interested in rooting can unlock their device using the Chain Fire's CF-Auto-Root applications.
Rooting enables users to install custom ROMs or third party apps of their choice and also perform tweaks in the settings to improve the device's performance. Though users get more control over the smartphone, the company warranty will be void and will no longer be liable for future updates [warranty can be restored by flashing the device with stock-ROM]
Prerequisites (things to remember before rooting the device):
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 LTE must be running on the official firmware - DXUENE4 Android 4.4.2
- Rooting of devices leads to a complete data wipeout, so make sure to back all data. [Install Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone to save the data]
- Users make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC to connect your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N9005) LTE model.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation procedure of Android v4.4.2 KitKat firmware rooting for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (N9005) LTE via CF-Auto-Root
Step 1: Download CF-Auto-Root application into your PC, and pull the .zip file to be later installed in to the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (N9005) LTE
Step 2: Download ODIN (v3.09) [This piece of software will help you through the rooting process]
Step 3: Now, turn-off the phone, then enter download mode, by press holding - volume (down) + home button+ power button, once you see the animated Android bot, press power key to enter to download mode.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure you have installed USB driver software, if not, click here to download firmware]
Step 4: Now, open ODIN on your PC, and then connect the smartphone (under download mode) to the PC.
[Note: If the connection between smartphone and PC is successfully established, then one of the ID: COM turns to yellow color with the COM port number]
Step 5: Then, choose the file to be installed, in this case, select PDA and click the file – 'CF-Auto-Root-hlte-hltexx-smn9005.zip'
Step 6: In Odin, don't forget to check options- Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time
Step 7: Now, initiate the rooting process by tapping start button in ODIN.
Step 8: Once the installation is completed, the phone will re-boot automatically in recovery mode to place the root package in the smartphone [hint: ID:COM turns green if everything done in the procedure is going in the right way]
Step 9: Once you see the home screen on the Galaxy Note 3, disconnect the phone from the PC.
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE model) will take a minimum of five minutes to complete the booting process. Users should then head to Settings >> select 'About phone' to verify the installation of Android 4.4.2 KitKat or use SuperSU app/ Root checker to confirm the installation.
Note: despite following this step-by-step procedure, sometimes the device does not get rooted.
- So, users are advised to repeat the procedure again, but this time make sure that in 'ODIN', the "Auto Reboot" option is not checked. Then after installation (Step 8), do the following:
- Pull out the battery to turn OFF the phone forcefully.
- Now boot (turn-on the phone), by press holding Volume (Up) + Home + Power buttons to enter into the Recovery Mode manually. This will start the process of rooting your phone.
[Credits: Team Android]