It's been almost two months since Motorola began Android 5.0.2 Lollipop soak test on first-generation Moto E, but still there is no word as to when the company will release the mew update to the public en masse.
Moto E owners, who are impatient to wait for the official update and are eager to explore all the new features of Lollipop, can try installing the new CyanogenMod CM12 series custom ROM on device.
This CM12 series firmware is the Nightly version of AOSP (Android Open Project) 5.0.2 Lollipop. Though it is the official custom ROM, 'Nightlies' version is a bit unstable and there are some bugs that are yet to be fixed. Developer team has promised to release the new updates weekly before they could roll out the official stable CM12 snapshots.
Some of features that are missing in the nightly version are:
- Theme Engine
- Quick Settings reorganisation and customisation
- Quick Settings Ribbon mode
- Navigation bar reorganisation and customisation
- Sound panel customisation
- Lock-screen quick unlock
We advise our readers to go through the whole tutorial article first before going ahead with the installation.
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the CyanogenMod CM12 Nightly):
- Users are advised to update their third party add-ons to ensure compatibility
- The CM backupscript.sh in recovery will ignore and remove incompatible applications from your system partition (these are usually non-CM apps that users have opted to install). You must install a compatible app (or app pack) to regain that functionality
- You can flash CM12 nightlies directly from CM11 M12 or CM 11 nightlies (no need to wipe), provided you read and followed items 1 and 2
- Once on CM12 nightlies, you cannot downgrade back to CM11 without wiping – if you are thinking of just exploring the release, then take a backup of your existing installation if you want to go back to it.
- Users must install Lollipop OS compatible recovery before installing the new CM12 custom ROM.
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- This CyanogenMod [official] Android 5.0.2 Lollipop CM11 M12 custom ROM can be installed on Moto E (1st Gen) aka Condor models if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your device (Moto G) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod [official] Android 5.0.2 Lollipop CM12 custom ROM Nightly on Motorola Moto E (1st Gen) aka Condor-
Step 2: Connect Motorola Moto E (1st Gen) aka Titan to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, clickHERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Then, place CyanogenMod CM12 Android 5.0.2 Lollipop Custom ROM zip file and Google Apps file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (Down)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to Recovery mode, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure again to install the Google Apps. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Moto E 1st Gen) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod [official] Android 5.0.2 Lollipop CM12 custom ROM nightly on Moto E (1st Gen) aka Titan.