Last month, LG announced that it would release the new Android 6.0 Marshmallow to its 2015 flagship smartphone G4 in the third week of October, but the roll-out process was deferred in the last minute for reasons unknown.
Fortunately, stock ROM version of Android 6.0 has been made available online thanks to the efforts of the recognised contributor of XDA Developer Forum, autoprime.
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the CyanogenMod ROM):
- This Android 6.0 Marshmallow stock ROM has to be installed on the LG G4 (H815) model only ; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (LG G3) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of Android v6.0 Marshmallow stock ROM on LG G4 (H815) model via TWRP recovery method:
Step 1: After downloading Android Marshmallow stock ROM in to your PC, connect LG G4 to the computer
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 2: Place the Android Marshmallow stock ROM into the phone's storage memory.
[Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
Step 3: Turn off device and disconnect it from PC
Step 4: Perform Recovery mode sorties by long pressing Volume (Down) + Power buttons
Step 5: Once entering the TWRP settings menu, clear phone's memory (full) by selecting 'Wipe' option. Once done, select â€“ 'Swipe to Factory Reset' perform factory reset
Step 6: Return to TWRP settings and tap 'Install' by the selecting all the .Zip files (System, Modem, Boot, Bootloader) in the phone's memory downloaded from PC
Step 8: Come back to TWRP menu setting to approve the installation by tapping 'Swipe to Confirm Flash'
Step 9: Flashing of the custom ROM begins and after few minutes, a message 'Successful' appears on the screen, thus completing installation.
Step 10: If faced with boot loop problem, navigate back to TWRP settings, and select 'Wipe cache/dalvik'. This procedure will help resolve any issue with regard to custom ROM installation
[Note: If you face any other issues, please drop-in your concerns, HERE]
[Credits: XDA Developer Forum, autoprime]