LG has already released the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop to the company's 2014 flagship LG G3 in select regions across the globe.
LG G3 owners who are interested to experience the newer, visually appealing interface and other numerous (almost unlimited) customisation options can try installing the new CyanogenMod CM12 series Android 5.0.2 Lollipop custom ROM.
This new CM12 milestone software is a nightly version of the AOSP (Android Open Project) 5.0.2 Lollipop update. We like to remind our readers that this nightly version is unstable and has some un-tested bugs in it. Hence, readers are advised to go thorough the whole tutorial article before going ahead with the installation.
Some of features that are missing in the nightly version are:
- Theme Engine
- Quick Settings reorganization and customization
- Quick Settings Ribbon mode
- Navigation bar reorganization and customization
- Sound panel customization
- Lock-screen quick unlock
[Note: Cyanogen team has confirmed that they have completed 85-percent of development of the stable firmware and would roll-out it soon. Until then users can upgrade their device with nightly update.]
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the CyanogenMod CM12 Nightly):
- Users are advised to update their third party addons to ensure compatibility
- The CM backupscript.sh in recovery will ignore and remove incompatible applications from your system partition (these are usually non-CM apps that users have opted to install). You must install a compatible app (or app pack) to regain that functionality
- You can flash CM12 nightlies directly from CM11 M12 or CM 11 nightlies (no need to wipe), provided you read and followed items 1 and 2
- Once on CM12 nightlies, you cannot downgrade back to CM11 without wiping – if you are thinking of just exploring the release, then take a backup of your existing installation if you want to go back to it.
- Users must install Lollipop OS compatible recovery before installing the new CM12 custom ROM.
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation
- This new CyanogenMod CM12 Android 5.0.2 Lollipop firmware has to be installed on the LG G3 (D850, D851, D852 and D855) models only ; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (LG G3) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
CM12 Custom ROM for LG G3 (D850): HERE
CM12 Custom ROM for LG G3 (D851): HERE
CM12 Custom ROM for LG G3 (D852): HERE
CM12 Custom ROM for LG G3 (D855): HERE
[Note: Build release-date: 23/01/2015]
Google Apps: HERE
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod [official] Android 5.0.2 Lollipop CM12 custom ROM Nightly on LG G3-
Step 1: After downloading the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop CM12 custom ROM and Google Apps files in to your PC; connect LG G3 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 2: Then, place Android 5.0.2 Lollipop zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have been rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool.]
Step 3: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 4: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (Down)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 5: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' option.
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 6: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 7: Go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 8: Come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 9: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.0.2 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 10: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (LG G3) will take at a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Head to Settings >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod Android v5.0.2 Lollipop CM12 custom ROM.