LG G2 is no longer eligible to receive the Android Marshmallow update as the device is more than two years old.
Google affiliated smartphone makers are obligated to provide the software support only for 18 months after the release of a product. However, this doesn't mean LG G2 owners have to shun their device. They can try installing custom ROM made by popular developer community CyanogenMod .
The new CM13 Release 1 custom ROM series is based on Android Marshmallow. It is a stable version, not a experimental nightly firmware and found to be free of bugs. In addition to Marshmallow-based Doze, "Now on Tap" search features, CM13 Release comes with exclusive CyanogenMod's themes, shortcuts, visually appealing Settings UI and performance tweaks.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- This new Android 6.0 Marshmallow CyanogenMod [official] CM13 Release 1 custom ROM series has to be installed on select LG G2 â€“ AT &T (d800), T-Mobile (d801), LTE International (d802), Canada (d803) models only. If tried on other devices, it might brick them [to check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void; the company will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing memory in the phone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone
- Make sure USB driver is installed on the PC or else your device (LG G2) will not be recognised by the computer
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway
CyanogenMod CM 13 Release 1 comes with certain restrictions and users are advised to follow some additional steps during custom ROM installation.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod [official] Android 6.0 Marshmallow CM13 Release 1 custom ROM on LG G2-
Step 1: Download the CyanogenMod [official] Android 6.0 Marshmallow CM13 Release 1 custom ROM and Google Apps files on to your PC and connect LG G2 to the computer via USB cord
[Note: Scroll down for download links of custom ROM, Gapps and USB driver software]
Step 2: Then place Android M zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder]
[Note: Before installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have been rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool]
Step 3: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC
Step 4: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (Down)' and 'Power' buttons
Step 5: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' option
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 6: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 7: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 8: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 9: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android M ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 10: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu
Now, your device (LG G2) will take at a few minutes to complete the booting process
Users then head to Settings >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod [official] Android 6.0 Marshmallow CM13 Release 1 custom ROM.
|Models||CyanogenMod CM13 Release 1 custom ROM||CyanogenMod CM13 compatible Recovery file|
|LG G2 AT&T (d800)||Link||Link|
|LG G2 T-Mobile (d801)||Link||Link|
|LG G2 International LTE (d802)||Link||Link|
|LG G2 Canada (d803)||Link||Link|