Reliance Jio swept the mobile telecom industry with its unlimited free offers, and now it is after the DTH and broadband services. The work around Jio GigaFiber is underway and the test runs for the 1Gbps service are already live in some parts of Delhi and Mumbai. But the mystery around its commercial rollout prevails.
According to the latest media reports, it will still be a few months before the high-speed optic fibre broadband is available to consumers. This will come as a major blow to the existing broadband and DTH players in the industry.
Jio's GigaFiber broadband is expected to come with a host of Jio services, and the company's JioTV, Jio MediaShare and others will be a part of it. Reliance will be tapping into a large market, which has been pretty much dormant for years. With Jio fiber, 4K video streaming, video calls and high-definition games will become common errands for users.
According to Indian Express, Jio GigaFiber hardware will include a set-top-box as well as an Android smartbox or Apple TV to help users access content and play games.
If Jio's telecom services are any indication, the broadband service will also be a disrupter in terms of pricing. In a previous leak, it was found that Jio fiber net will be available starting at Rs. 500 for 600GB with a validity of 30 days. There will be multiple plans to suit different users. Check them out below:
- Rs. 500 for 3.5GB data use per day, with validity period of 30 days
- Rs. 400 for unlimited data usage, with validity period of 24 hours
- Rs. 1,500 for maximum data usage limit of up to 2000GB with 50Mbps speed, with validity period of 30 days
- Rs. 2,000 for maximum data usage limit of 1000 GB with 100Mbps speed, with validity period of 30 days
- Rs. 4,000 for data limit till 500GB with 400Mbps speed, valid for 30 days
- Rs. 3,500 for 750GB free data with 200Mbps speed, with validity period of 30 days
- Rs. 5,500 for 300GB of data with 600Mbps speed, valid up to 30 days
In competition to Jio, its chief rival Airtel is also planning something big for the broadband industry. Airtel V-Fiber is available in Chennai, and soon coming to your city. The plans start at Rs 999 for 50GB FUP limit with speeds up to 100Mbps and the highest plan goes up to Rs 4,999 per month for 1TB FUP limit.