Popular CyanogenMod custom ROM developers have released the new Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M8 firmware to Google Nexus 5.
Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M8 Custom ROM is based on the v4.4.4 KitKat OS and is said to bring customization options to boost device performance, new visual interface, easy access to key apps and lots of other user-experience enhancing features.
Prerequisite (things to remember before the installation of custom ROM in the smartphone):
- Rooting enables users to install custom ROMs or third party apps of their choice and also perform tweaks in the settings to improve the device's performance. Though users get more control over the smartphone this way, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide future updates [warranty can be restored by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- This Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M8 Custom ROM has to be installed only on Google-LG Nexus 5 model [To check your model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- One of the main prerequisite before installing custom ROM is that the phone must be rooted and must have installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of whole data in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data.
- Users make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC to connect your Google-LG Nexus 5.
- Make sure your smartphone has more than 80 percent battery.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) of Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or may even lead to the device being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if smartphones get bricked. Hence users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step Installation Procedure of Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M8 Custom ROM for Google-LG Nexus 5:
Step 2: Connect Google-LG Nexus 5 to PC via USB chord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, make sure you have installed USB driver software, if not, click here to download firmware]
Step 3: Then, place Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M8 Custom ROM zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, make sure the device is already rooted and must have installed ClockworkMod Recovery].
Step 4: Now turn-off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular 'Bootloader Mode' sortie by press holding 'volume up', 'volume down' and 'power' buttons.
Step 6: Once entering the 'Bootloader mode,' go to the ClockworkMod Recovery mode, then perform full data wipe, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' [Note: Use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode].
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition.'
Step 8: Then go back to the ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that users will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card.'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 4.4.2 ROM .zip file in the SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for installing Google Apps. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Google-LG Nexus 5) will take a minimum of five minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M8 Custom ROM.
[Credits: Team Android]