Prolific mobile software developers team Paranoid Android has released the much awaited 5.0 Lollipop custom ROM to the LG's 2013 flagship smartphone Google Nexus 5 (Hammerhead) model.
They have confirmed that the new Paranoid Android 5.0 Lollipop Alpha 1 version is based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project) and comes with new UI, performance enhancements and lots of enhancements to improve user-experience.
Some of features that are expected come in the new custom ROM:
- Update the baseline to AOSP Lollipop 5.0.2
- Improvements to Heads Up, such as an option to disable heads up interruptions completely
- Add Quick Unlock
- Extend the power menu
- Animate the volume panel in a more material manner
- Make it possible to skip songs using volume buttons when the device is locked
- Add CM12 Theme Engine
- Fix for various small issues from AOSP
[Note: If you are flashing from kitkat, stock, or any other ROM we highly recommend a factory reset first. Not doing so may cause strange issues. So, we advise our readers to go through the whole tutorial article first before going ahead with the installation.]
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the custom ROM):
- This new Paranoid Android 5.0 Lollipop custom ROM has to be installed on the LG-Google Nexus 5 (aka Hammerhead) only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your phone (Google Nexus 5) smartphone will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted in the mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step Installation Procedure of Paranoid Android 5.0 Lollipop Custom ROM on LG- Google Nexus 5-
Step 2: Connect LG-Google Nexus 5 to PC via USB chord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, make sure you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Then, place the Android 5.0 Lollipop custom ROM zip file and Google apps .zip files into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, make sure the device is already rooted and must have installed ClockworkMod Recovery].
Step 4: Now turn-off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular 'Bootloader Mode' sortie by press holding 'Volume up', 'Volume down' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: Upon entering the 'Bootloader mode,' go to the ClockworkMod Recovery mode, then perform full data wipe, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' [Note: Use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode].
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition.'
Step 8: Go back to the ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that users will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Come back to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card.'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.0 Lollipop ROM .zip file in the SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for installing Google Apps. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (LG-Google Nexus 5) will take a minimum of five minutes to complete the booting process.
Head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of Paranoid Android v5.0 Lollipop Alpha 1 Custom ROM.
[Credits: Paranoid Android]