Popular after-market mobile software maker Cyanogen has released a new CM12.1 series custom ROM to the Google's 2014 flagship smartphone Motorola Nexus 6.
Though Google Nexus 6 runs on stock Android 5.1 Lollipop OS, users will have limited control over the device. But by installing the CyanogenMod, it brings almost unlimited customization options, performance enhancing tweak.
The latest CM12.1 nightly version is based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project) 5.1 Lollipop. It comes with many bug fixes and brings new email app powered by Boxer, which brings multiple account support, exchange support and canned responses for quick replies.
Other customisations include sound alerts (bells or whistles), option to select different LED colour display for email notifications and many more.
Though this 'Nightlies' version is an official CyanogenMod ROM, it is a bit unstable and there are some untested bugs (nothing major of sort) which are yet to be fixed. Cyanogen is working on a more stable M (Milestone) series; till then, users can explore the features of the new ROM.
Pre-requisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- This Android 5.1 Lollipop custom ROM firmware has to be installed on the Google Nexus 6 model (aka Shamu) only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your device (Google Nexus 6) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted in the mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step Installation Procedure of CyanogenMod [Official] Android 5.1 Lollipop CM12.1 Custom ROM on Motorola- Google Nexus 6-
[Note: ROM build date: 21/04/2015]
Step 2: Connect Motorola-Google Nexus 6 to PC via USB chord.
Step 3: Place the Android 5.1 Lollipop custom ROM zip file and Google apps .zip files into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, make sure the device is already rooted and must have installed ClockworkMod Recovery].
Step 4: Turn-off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular 'Bootloader Mode' sortie by long pressing 'Volume Up', 'Volume down' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the 'Bootloader mode', go to the ClockworkMod Recovery mode, then perform full data wipe, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' [Note: Use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode].
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition.'
Step 8: Now go back to the ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that users will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Come back to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card.'
Step 10: Now tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.1 Lollipop ROM .zip file in the SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for installing Google Apps. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Your device (Motorola-Google Nexus 6) will take a minimum of five minutes to complete the booting process.
Users can head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod [official] Android v5.1 Lollipop CM12.1 Custom ROM.