On Monday, Google released the new Android Nougat update to the Nexus 6, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nexus 9, Nexus Player, Pixel C, and General Mobile 4G (Android One). Sadly, the search engine giant disbanded the Nexus 5, as the device was too old.
"After a certain period, Google can no longer guarantee that a device will get version updates or security patches," the company said on the official support page.
However, LG Nexus 5 users need not worry over missing the Android Nougat, as the industrious XDA Developer Forum's senior software programmer, Santosh M has successfully created a Nougat-based AOSP (Android Open Source Project) ROM compatible with the 2013 series flagship phone.
The new ROM brings all cool attributes of Nougat such as night mode, security improvement, fast boot, bundled notification, improved battery optimisation, multi-window options and more value-added features to enhance user-experience.
We like to remind our readers that this AOSP ROM is an experimental firmware. It has some unresolved issues in it.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void; the company will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation.
- This new Android 7.0 Nougat AOSP ROM has to be installed on Google Nexus 5 (aka Hammerhead) LTE only model, if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [to check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- AOSP ROM has to be installed through TWRP only
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing memory in the tablet, so make sure to back all the data by installing TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure USB driver is installed in the PC or else your device (Google Nexus 5) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of the tablet getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of Android 7.0 Nougat for Nexus 5 via TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project)-
Step 1: Download Android 7.0 Nougat Nexus 5 AOSP ROM in to your PC.
[Scroll to find the downloadable files]
Step 2: Connect Google Nexus 5 to the computer
Step 3: Place the Android Nougat AOSP ROM into the phone's storage memory.
[Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
Step 4: Turn off device and disconnect it from PC
Step 5: Perform Recovery mode sorties by long pressing Volume (Down) + Power buttons
Step 6: Once entering the TWRP settings menu, clear phone's memory (full) by selecting 'Wipe' option. Once done, select – 'Swipe to Factory Reset' perform factory reset
Step 7: Return to TWRP settings and tap 'Install' by the selecting .Zip file in the phone's memory downloaded from PC
Step 8: Come back to TWRP menu setting to approve the installation by tapping 'Swipe to Confirm Flash'
Step 9: Flashing of the custom ROM begins and after few minutes, a message 'Successful' appears on the screen, thus completing installation.
Step 10: If faced with boot loop problem, navigate back to TWRP settings, and select 'Wipe cache/dalvik'. This procedure will help resolve any issue with regard to custom ROM installation
Android 7.0 Nougat AOSP custom ROM: HERE
Google Gapps: HERE
USB driver: HERE
[Credits: XDA Developer Forum and Santosh M]