OnePlus One has been in the market for than two years now. So it is most unlikely to get the latest Android Nougat update. Having said that, there are ways to get the Nougat features on to the 2014 flagship phone through numerous custom ROMs available on the internet. Among them, Pure Nexus Project firmware is one of the most popular.
For those unaware, Pure Nexus Project (members:kwoktopus, BeansTown106, freshgiammi and katinatez) is highly regarded community in XDA Developer Forum. They offer the latest features with a clean interface and no junk-wares, and also add tweaks to enhance the performance of the device.
Readers are advised to go through the whole article to weigh out all the pros and cons, and then go ahead with the installation.
Prerequisites [Things to remember before installing Custom ROM]:
- This new Android 7.0 Nougat Pure Nexus Project custom ROM has to be installed only on OnePlus One aka Bacon models only; if tried on other devices, it might brick them [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> Model Number]
- Make sure the device is rooted (Bootloader unlocked) before going forward. [How to unlock Bootloader]
- Though installing the custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and it will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore the warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone. So make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/TWRP.
- Make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else the device will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of Android 7.0 Nougat Pure Nexus Project custom ROM on OnePlus One (aka Bacon) model via TWRP recovery method:
Step 1: Download Android 7.0 Nougat Pure Nexus Project custom ROM and Google Apps on your PC
[Note: downloadable file links are provided at the bottom]
Step 2: Connect OnePlus One to PC via USB cord
Step 3: Place Android 7.0 Nougat ROM zip file and the Google Apps .zip file into the phone's storage memory [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (Down)' and 'Power' buttons
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by choosing 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Navigate back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Return to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android M ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu
Now, your device (OnePlus One) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to 'Settings' >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of Android 7.0 Nougat Pure Nexus Project custom ROM.
OnePlus One Android 7.0 Nougat Pure Nexus Project custom ROM: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
USB driver: HERE
[Credits: Pure Nexus Project- kwoktopus BeansTown106, freshgiammi and katinatez]